cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3800 Series Compact Flash

Sam Oesterling
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3845 routers that are in production and I ordered a new 128 MB flash card for one of them.  Does anything come pre-loaded on these card, or will I have to upload an IOS to it for the router?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sure you can.  Just make sure you don't reboot the router. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's empty.  I'd recommend you format the CF first before you load anything into them (format flash:).  The 870/1800/3800 ISR G1's support up to 2Gb CF (Type II).

Thank you.  I'll be sure to do that.  I pretty sure the answer is no, but can I replace it while the router is up?

Sure you can.  Just make sure you don't reboot the router. 

Cool deal, that will save me a ton of time!

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the ratings. 

I've got something to save your time to copy the IOS to the new CF.

1.  Get a spare USB stick (no bigger than 2Gb) and stick this into one of the two USB slot.
2.  Format the USB stick (format usbslot0:).
3.  Copy the IOS from your old CF to your USB stick.
4.  Insert your new CF and format your new CF.
5.  Copy your IOS from the USB stick to your new CF.

This way you have redundant IOS in your handy USB stick.  If you need to boot from USB, you need to upgrade the bootstrap.

No problem regarding the ratings.  It gave me what I needed!

As for the USB stick... Great suggestion.  That will be nice.  That will save me a lot of time so I won't have to upload my IOS from my TFTP server over our multilink connection.

I might even format it with my 3845 in the office and copy the IOS to it there, and then just pop it into my 3845 that is offsite this weekend when I replace the CF.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco