cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 managing sub devices, enabling in LMS

rtuttle
Level 1
Level 1

I see after some research that the support for sub and child devices within a 6500 is supported. I dont see where to enable this on the existing, and I would like to know if the data already obtained will be forfeited. I am hoping that turning this on will enable us to manage all our contexts from the parent 6500 within LMS.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't follow. Exactly what are you considering enabling? What data do you want to collect?

Good day Joe,

I read that w/ CW you can manage 6500's via parent/child relationship with the modules. Thereby allowing the management of the modules from the main switch without having to open mgmt interfaces/ip's to the management platform from every module, ipsec mod, fwsm mod. That is a lot of work for over 60 contexts to manage.

I was reading where in LMS 3.x that the ability to manage the 6500's in this manner was turned off by default for LMS3.x and above.

Basically with our multi customer, vrf configured environment I would like to manage all customer nets from hopefully the gui.

I used to run the embedded cvdm and that is no longer around, as well the ipsec vpn blades and fwsm snapins for that product.

But the main question is that in the documentation for the CW class, it states that I can turn on parent/child subviews and I dont see where I can.

No, this is not possible in general. If you want to be able to manage these individual modules fully, you would need to add them as separate devices in DCR.

DFM has the ability to do some sub-device management through the parent switch, but that was really only designed for hybrid 6500s with MSFCs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco