Helpful
Replies

6509 with sup2 with msfc , but sup2 cannot send syslog local7.warning

samuel.lam
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all

i am using 6509 with sup2 and msfc,

but the switch cannot send log successfully to syslog server, using default warning , with local7. I did check some log with level 3 cannot send to syslog.

It is equipped with routing module, but the routing syslog is fine. Will it be affected by the unstable of routing. In addition, other 3550 sending local7.warning is fine.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please provide the logging configuration from your supervisor. As to your question on routing, yes, that can be a problem. Syslog messages are sent out using unacknowledged UDP, so if they are dropped along the way, then they will be lost. There is no retransmission.

In addition, i also found that nor the snmp trap and syslog can be output....

set logging server enable

set logging server xxx

set logging level cops 2 default

set logging level qos 2 default

set logging level acl 2 default

set logging level rsvp 2 default

set logging level ld 2 default

set logging level privatevlan 2 default

traceroute to my_syslog_server

3 hop count (throught routing)

RMON: Enabled

Extended RMON Netflow Enabled : None.

Memory usage limit for new RMON entries: 85 percent

Traps Enabled: auth,chassis,module,port,vtp

Port Traps Enabled: 1/1-2,3/1-3,3/7,3/11,3/21-22,3/24,4/1-8,5/1-7,6/1-8

Community-Access Community-String

---------------- --------------------

read-only apple

read-write

read-write-all

Trap-Rec-Address Trap-Rec-Community Trap-Rec-Port Trap-Rec-Owner Trap-Rec-Index

---------------- ------------------ ------------- -------------- --------------

1 apple 162 CLI 1

2 apple 162 CLI 2

hostname> (enable)

Your logging severity is pretty high (critical NOT warning as you said previously). Are you certain you are generating messages that will be logged via syslog? The same goes for traps.

If you are certain messages are being generated, you might try putting a sniffer on the management server, and verify that the messages are actually getting to the server. If you do not see them arrive, keep working backwards through the three hops until you find out where the messages are being dropped.

If they are arriving at the management server, you may have an application layer problem. Check to see if your syslog and trap receiver applications have any debugging that can be enabled.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: