Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

A way to get OID descriptions without manual lookup or device's MIBs on local machine?

[I see this question has been viewed over 100 times. Vote "I have this problem also" if you can (see the button below), so the question might receive attention from someone at Cisco and we'll get an answer.]

Hi,

I've written an SNMP trap manager (passive trap receiver/listener) for a Cisco AIR-CT5508-K9 device running Wireless IOS 7.3.112.0.

My problem on the listening side is knowing what the OIDs mean in the real world, or in other words getting their human-readable descriptions.

Until now, I've looked up the OID descriptions at Cisco's MIB object locator site, or looked up them up within the AIR-CT5508-K9 device MIB files. I've maintained and updated my own non-MIB-based OID description dictionary for the traps we've encountered as we've encountered them. I've done this because it seems easier than what seems to be the "standard" approach of installing some tool like Net-SNMP, installing the device's MIBs on the machine that needs the OID descriptions, and then calling snmptranslate. Also, I work in client environments where installing 3rd party tools like Net-SNMP may sometimes be forbidden. Of course my approach has the disadvantage of not being able to get an OID description upon first encounter and requires manual monitoring and update.

I'm aware that some trap agent devices expose a server process on port 161 (or 162?) that may be able to answer queries for OID descriptions, which would be an ideal solution since it would obviate the need for my manually maintained dictionary, and requires no 3rd party tools or MIBs to be installed on the trap listener side.

My specific question is: Can the Cisco AIR-CT5508-K9 device expose an OID description service? If you can't answer for this specific device, is this a typical feature on many Cisco devices? If not, does Cisco support a RESTful web service that can perform the same function?

Thank You and Kind Regards,

-John

Everyone's tags (5)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content