cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding devices to the DCR in Bulk -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

The way we add devices to RME 3.5 today is import devices using a DIF or CSV formatted file .

I've just got the new version up and have a question on adding devices in Bulk to the DCR.

Please see the attached export of the 2 devices I have in the DCR now.

My question is this? Will I have to know the sysObjectID of every device I add to this file or what?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

You do not need to know the sysObjectID of every device you add to the file. For example, the following line is fine (notice the two commas):

198.99.4.170,nmsfrs2tst-3550,kp.org,,nmsfrs2tst-3550,,0,275935233,VER143r,,,,,,,,,TAC,NOC,,,,,,

PS: you may want to replace community strings and paswords with xxxxxx when posting such files.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

You do not need to know the sysObjectID of every device you add to the file. For example, the following line is fine (notice the two commas):

198.99.4.170,nmsfrs2tst-3550,kp.org,,nmsfrs2tst-3550,,0,275935233,VER143r,,,,,,,,,TAC,NOC,,,,,,

PS: you may want to replace community strings and paswords with xxxxxx when posting such files.

Sorry for the password & community string info. It's only a couple of test switches sitting in a lab with a test server where I'm attempting to learn this 2.6 stuff.

I see where devices can be Bulk imported from a CSV dump of RME 3.5. I could continue to load devices using that format but it's probably not advised.

What method would you recommand for adding AND deleting a lot of devices into and out of the DCR on a shedule of at least 2 times per week?

There are probably an average of 10 adds and 10 deletes per week across 3 RME servers?

There are 3 RME servers: 1 for Northern Cal, 1 for Southern Cal and 1 for places not in Cal. There are scripts in place today that pull data from an application and perform the adds and deletes 2 times/week on each of the 3 servers.

We have 6 Campus server in place as well-2 for NC, 2-SC and 2 for places not in California. However, Campus does not feed device information into RME. Again, it's done via scripts. Campus is really used only as a discovery mechanism.

Input on ways to try to put this together is appreciated.