Views
Helpful
Replies

Adjusted TCP Window Size on IPERF/JPERF but unable to verify w/ Wireshark

yuchenglai
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I recently downloaded JPERF to better understand how throughput is affected by changing Buffer length and TCP window size values.

I installed JPERF on two machines with one running as a server and the other as a client. On both the client and the server, the buffer length and TCP window size have been set to 1 Kilobit. Needless to say, the throughput was pretty bad given that the NICs of these two hosts were capable of 100Mbps.

Give the settings above, JPERF was able to report a low throughput of 30 to 40 Kbits/sec from the client to the server.

At the same time I ran this test, I also turned on Wireshark to sniff the traffic. Even though I configured JPERF w/ a TCP window size of 1 KBits on both the client and the server, I was not able see a reflection of this value in my packet captures...particularly in the TCP header, Window Size field.

Am I looking at the wrong field?

1 Reply 1

yuchenglai
Level 1
Level 1

Attached is also a screenshot of JPERF showing the TCP Window Size and Buffer Length settings and the resulting througput. Screenshot was pasted to OpenOffice's equivalent of MS powerpoint.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco