cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

advise needed on optimising network speed

Craig Haycock
Level 1
Level 1
Hello, I'm very limited in my knowledge of Cisco systems but was wondering if it is possible to setup a cctv ip network to present its images to the recording server in the best available speed and quailty with minimum lag time. I have all ip cctv cameras connected to 2 cisco switches which are linked together and which are linked to the recording server (cisco switches have been fitted in a plug and play fashion). Is it better to have each camera on its own VLAN so that its data is only sent to the server and not every other device on the network switches? Whats the best way to set this up? Thank You
2 Replies 2

HI Craig ,

What is your switch model being used for your setup , how many CCTV camera is connected to your switches , where is your recording server connected . 

Connecting each CCTV camera to multiple vlan/own vlan don't improve your speed . If your CCTV is configured with recording server IP address , any traffic from your CCTV towards your recording server is always unicast . It wont send to any other devices which is connected on to your network switches .Initially only arp broadcast packet from CCTV alone will be sent to all devices connected to your network switches .after arp completion  any traffic destination to recording server is unicast . 

Do you see any delay on existing connection ?? 

HTH

sandy

Hello, there are 49 cameras (24 of them connected to 6 encoders) connected to 2 cisco sg300 10ip switches. Recording server is also connected to them and the two switches are linked together. Theres nothing else