cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Archive configuration different issue.

HWangLoyalty_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have two questions about archive configuration.

There are two options about configuration archive on Ciscoworks. They are "Periodic inventory collection" and "Periodic inventory polling". The deafult opeion is disable. Do I need acivate "Periodic inventory polling" if I will check the different configuration version.

Another one is how often ciscworks collect different configure? It is only dialy, weekly and monthly, right? If I change confiuration of a switch several times (for example, 5times)one day, Could I get the five differnt versions or only one version (final change)? If I could get 5 versions, where I need setup for this change on the LMS?

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Inventory collection has nothing to do with configuration. Inventory polling looks for inventory-related changes where as collection gathers all the changes, and updates the database.

Config collection is dictated by the config collection settings under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt. By default, collection happens once per week. However, if you send syslog messages from your devices to RME, RME will run collection jobs for individual devices when it sees a config change syslog message. This means that if you are doing syslogging, and you change the config five times in one day, RME will have all five revisions of the configuration.

Thanks again Clarke!

You mean we will keep "Periodic inventory collection" and "Periodic inventory polling" disable, right?

If I setup command "snmp-server enable traps syslog" on the switch, I could get 5 times different configurations in one day, right? I did not do any change on LMS(use default option)

If I change vlan configure now, could I get new version on the LMS right now or 30minutes later like that?

No. You should enable periodic inventory collection and polling. Pick a schedule that works with how often you make inventory changes in your network.

"snmp-server enable traps syslog" has nothing to do with anything in RME. You need to setup syslogging:

logging trap info

logging x.x.x.x

Once you have that working, every configuration change will cause a syslog messages to be sent to RME. Once RME receives it, it will immediately collect the configuration from the device.

sorry, i am little confused about that.

If they are disable, could I get any configurations of network devices on LMS?

If I have to set up as daily, schedule is 11:00pm every evening, it means it is only that time I could find all 5 times versions on CSM,right?

If it is does not, Could you tell me why i need two options?

As I said before inventory and configuration collection are two separate things. You're talking about both in this thread. Which do you care about for this question?

I know they are two sperate things, but they are for configuration archive.If I keep two options disable, will it cause some issues for configuration of dvices? Could not I get any configuration on LMS?

If the default is OK, why do I need active them?

thanks

So you're interested in configuration archive and NOT inventory? Periodic configuration polling checks to see if the device's configuration changed without actually downloading it. This is useful to check for changes while keeping network bandwidth down. Periodic collection downloads the configuration from devices, and checks to see if it is different from the latest archived version.

By default, config polling is done daily and collection is done weekly. On top of those, you can have the device send syslog messages, and RME will fetch the config from the device when it sees a config change message. By doing all three (polling, collection, and syslog-based collection) you should not miss any changes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: