Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Archive VLAN failed

Hi,

When running a sync archive for a device, the job status appears as "Partially Successful", because VLAN configuration couldn't be archived, according to the image attached.

My doubt is: what is the reason of this failure? Is the problem the device which didn't support TFTP, SSH and RCP? Or is this something related to CWLMS configuration? Can't be the VLAN config obtained using TELNET?

Thank you,

Best Regards.

Flaviano.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In this case, RME logged into the device using telnet, and tried to run a "copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:" command. This failed. To see why, you could use a sniffer trace to capture the telnet traffic between RME and the device to see the error.

Hi Joe,

I've checked and the CWLMS can get the VLAN's configuration for this device when I look on Config Tree, for instance. This seem to be working correctly.

But I couldn't understand exactly what this error means. What is CWLMS trying to do when executing the command "copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:"? Is this error normal? Because I've looked to a CWLMS installation on another client and the same message appears there!

Thank you,

Regards.

Flaviano.

That's it. RME logs into the device, becomes enabled, then issues the "copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:" command. The switch then transfers the vlan.dat to the RME server via TFTP. The error seen here indicates that this command failed. It can fail for a number of reasons which is why the sniffer trace will be useful to see exactly why the command failed.

Hi Joe.

OK, I understood! Tks again...

2 more questions related to this:

1) Is it possible to disable these feature (RME trying to run this command "copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:") ?

2) If I got the vlan configuration using "show running" command on a switch and backup these information on CWLMS, for instance, all configuration related to VLAN will be backed up? What I mean is: only the configuration showed on "show runn" command related to VLAN is enough to be backup on CWLMS? Or is there any additional information which is not showed with "show runn" command and which is in this vlan.dat file?

Thank you,

Best Regards.

Flaviano.

No, you cannot disable this. RME will try to fetch vlan.dat from devices that should have it.

The vlan.dat file is obsolete for switches which are in VTP transparent mode (so this file can be removed from such switches). However, for VTP servers and clients, vlan.dat will exist, and must be fetched in order to have a full configuration for the device.

Please start a new thread for your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: