Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM monitoring capabilities within LMS 2.5

nick.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have recently installed LMS2.5 to provide netman functionality on my customers ATM network.

Is Ciscoworks able to monitor each virtual ATM sub-interface and provide stats from each as opposed to the actual physical circuit? If so, how is this achieved?

My customer has played around with the ATM management tool in Campus Topology Services but it does not meet their requirements.

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CiscoWorks is only minimally useful as a performance monitoring tool (in my opinion). Many folks supplement their tools with MRTG or other such tool that tabulates and graphs SNMP get results for OIDs. One can query at PVC or SVC level to derive ATM subinterface statistics.

I have used a commercial product (Lucent VitalNet) to do this successfuly on Cisco ATM interfaces. (Though a VitalNet installation is typically in the tens of thousands of dollars just for the software license.)

Hope this helps, please rate helpful posts.

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

LMS provides little stats reporting besides the IPM piece. Cisco WAN Manager is one Cisco product that I'm aware of for managing ATM circuits. You probably would want to complement CWM with third-party integration tools to enhance stats reporting/archiving though, such as Concord eHealth/HP OVPI (OpenView Performance Insight)/Micromuse Netcool. Or you could roll it on your own with open-source tools like Cacti/RRDTool/MRTG/etc.

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CM in LMS will give you some basic ATM information, but you are better off using CWM as mentioned above. This provides much better detailed info with regards to ATM, ILMI and WAN switches

w.kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on how big the network is your customer is running, might suggest another application called Statseeker which does fulll blanket monitoring of each device,interface and port on your Cisco network.ATM sub-if are included. Might be a bit pricy but well worth it and easy to set up.

Many thanks guys - I think my company may have flogged this customer a dead horse. I will have to research the products you have mentioned for specific ATM monitoring.

www.statseeker.com for more info. I've been using it for the past 5 years on our network of around 200 Cisco devices monitoring around 2000 interfaces/ports every 30sec. Small compared to FedEx which is using it to collect data on the performance of more than 154,000 interfaces, across more than 3000 sites, from a single server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: