cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

attribute errors caused by ssh

mgottfried
Level 1
Level 1

We are running an old version, LMS 2.2. When we configure a switch to utilize ssh rather than telnet we start getting attribute errors. When you look at the device attributes it shows telnet failing. There aren't any problems with actually managing the switch that I have found so far, we get archived configurations and so on. When we upgrade to LMS 2.5.1 next month will this issue go away? Will the attribute report show ssh as well as telent? In order to utilize ssh on the server do we need to install an ssh client on the server so that it will use ssh to communicate with the managed devices? Are there any gotcha's with moving to ssh in regards to managing devices with CiscoWorks? Any tips or tricks that I will need to be aware of?

7 Replies 7

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

LMS 2.2 did not contain ssh as an option to check device attirbutes.

This issue is resolved in LMS 2.5

Thanks for replying. I knew that 2.5.1 supported ssh. But I don't know exactly how it will do that and to what extent. That is why I asked the other questions. Will the attribue report show ssh? Do we need to install an ssh client on the server? Anything else I need to be aware of?

The fix for the attribute report is based on bug id:

CSCdz44557 - Device attribute report shows Failed when using only SSH

There is no need to install a separate ssh client on the server. The SSH that LMS uses is part of Common Services (which is the first CD you would need to install).

Really! I haven't gotten my hands on the new version yet. I have heard reports from some of my fellow technicians that they haven't been able to work successfully with ssh in LMS 2.5. Of course, that may be a bit different than the 2.5.1 we are moving to. One tech said 'There is one issue that may be a problem. I have gotten Topology to launch SSH on the server but I get an error "unable to resolve name, no IP address associated" I do not know if this is because the agent is not on the server or if it is because RME manages the name and not the address.' He has also reported that he can't get anything ssh related to work at all without loading a ssh client on the server. Here's another quote "...I can not access them from Campus Manager. This is because an openSSH forwarding agent (SecureCRT) is not installed on the server".

Thoughts?

Topology Services is part of Campus Manager, not RME.

And yes, if you would like to ssh from Topology Services (Campus Manager), you will require an SSH client.

Your colleagues may have been running into CSCsa80409 - Campus Manager Telnet and SSH do not support Windows 2003 and XP clients

This is fixed in 4.0(3), which is part of LMS 2.5.1

Nadim,

This bug is extremely well documented...and I have not had any problem with that.

Ofcourse one needs an application on the client that can do telnet or ssh if we want to connect via telnet or ssh.

Do you have any idea when this problem may occur?

Any known scenario(s)?

Michel

So, we upgraded to LMS 2.5.1 and were told to install some additional patches including a move to 4.0(4). We also have SecureCRT installed. Now, when we try to ssh from Campus Manager we get a message back from SecureCRT. "Hostname lookup failed: no IP address associated with hostname". This doesn't make sense to me since there are DNS names for the devices and the server itself can resolve those names. Any ideas?