Views
Helpful
Replies

auto discovery enquiries

mdazadzaki
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

we are currently evalating cw 2.5.1 bundle to autodiscover our network. the setp is as follows

MGt router (sub ip range 172.31.8.0 - 12.0)

|

|

L2 switch ranging from vlan 2-10

|

|

Routers (default gw pointing to mgt routers)

snmp ro & rw is configured according to the doc and in CM we specify the ip range except for the seed. we are unable to discover all the routers.

do we have to configure the seed too? if yes which device should it be? Please advice thanks

6 Replies 6

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

In your filters, make sure you use * in the range (i.e. instead of 172.31.8.0 use 172.31.8.*)

You need to specify a seed, otherwise device discovery won't know where to start.

Make sure cdp is enabled on all devices.

thanks for your replies. Yes i have specified the range using * for the discovery range. any idea which device should i assign for the seed. on the doc it specify seed device should be a core switch.

what if customer does not have any core structure in their network and does not want to use cdp on all thier cisco devices?

any advices?

Generally core switches are recommended for a couple of reasons:

1) They can reach numerous other devices on the network

2) CDP is layer 2 and switches generally work better

If they don't want to run CDP in their network CM will not be able to complete a discovery. SNMP read's the cdp neighbor tables to map out the network

hi,

Is there any documentation that i can show to management regarding this issue?

Basically there are no layar 3 core switches that we can assign in this trunked network, is there any other solutions if they really insist to see the topology views without enabling the cdp protocol?

please find the attached diagram, i would appreciate your professional advice how to auto discover on a trunked (subinterface) without core layer device (seed) and cdp disabled.

Without the CDP Campus can not do a discovery. No cdp neigbours = discovery stops here

And even if you add the devices to the DCR manualy, without the CDP Campus can not see how the devices are connected.

The fact that the network is trunked doesn't matter for CDP. If the devices in the diagram run CDP and you enter the switch where ciscoworks connect as seed it will discover the network just fine.

Cheers,

Michel

You can discover without a core switch using a router, as long as you select jump router boundaries.

However, unless you have CDP you won't be able to map out the network. CM uses SNMP and the CISCO-CDP-MIB to connect devices and show the proper links.

The following link (CM 3.3 which is the same for all versions) shows the prereq's for setting up CM:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/camp_mgr/camp_3x/cmgr_3_3/sol_inst/prep.htm#wp1041978

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: