cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AutoRegister Dynamic DNS for Routers/Switches For CiscoWorks

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I would like to know if there is any way I can set a Router/Switch or other Cisco device to auto register its hostname to our Win2k3 DNS servers via dynamic dns. The reasoning behind this is to avoid having to manually enter dns info for devices that will be managed via CiscoWorks. Is this possible?

3 Replies 3

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

The advantage of having a DNS server in your network is that you have a centralized way of host name resolution. This also plays a bigger role if you have a large network. You will not have to manually configure the host file for each computer that you have on your network. If you cannot start your CiscoWorks2000 application and receive error messages complaining that the WebServer or ANIServer might not be running (even though pdshow indicates that those processes are up and running), you might need to check how your machine is resolving its server name and IP address.

The CiscoWorks2000 CORBA applications require name resolution to work properly. Choose Domain Name Service (DNS) or any other form of name resolution supported by both your client and server.

Configure the name resolution mechanism and restart the CiscoWorks2000 Server to access the application correctly.

As for adding your routers and switches to your DNS server, I suggest that you contact your system

administrator on how to go about this process.

I am the system administrator for our DNS setup. The question I had that still is not answered, is "Can you set a router/switch/etc to auto register it's name to a DNS server? I have lots of client devices that do this fine, but for routers the only way I found to get full name resolution in CiscoWorks (rather than just IP address) is to manually add the routers/switches names to our DNS servers manual at the DNS server. Any other thoughts?

Unless you would make your devices use DHCP to get their address, (the DHCP server could tell the DNS about the device name) this is not possible.

I have used ciscoworks to generate report with the devicename(hostname on the device), hostname(from DNS) and an ip address.

This way it becomes clear for what devices no nameresolution could be done, and what name-ip address combination should be added to the dns.

Cheers,

Michel