Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Backup Problems In LMS 2.6

Hi folks,

When trying to do a backup to the local drive on my CW server i get the following error:

Backup failed. Reason is ERROR(683): Cannot create or back up tar file. Backup cancelled. Verify that you have write-access to this directory.. Please look into C:/PROGRA~1/CSCOpx/log/dbbackup.log. for more details.

I checked the log but it didn't really give me a lot of help. I also verified the permissions on the folder to make sure the access was right. I thought maybe casuser needed access so I granted that, but that didn't fix it either. Any ideas?

I attatched the backup logs.

Wil

• Network Management
5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Backup Problems In LMS 2.6

If you have verified that casuser has full control of this backup directory try a couple of things:

1) rather than backup directly to d:, create a folder under here (with proper permissions) and then try to backup to it

2) Check if cygwin1.dll is in $NMSROOT/bin folder. If not try copying this .dll from $NMSROOT/setup/support and then try the backup.

I actually tried to backup to a specific folder that I created once already with no luck. And the file you speak of is not in either of the directories you mentioned.

Thanks,

Wil

Cisco Employee

There should be a cygwin1.dll under NMSROOT\bin. If not, then he will get this error. It has to be the specific CiscoWorks version.

Do you have any other third-party software like OpenSSH, IBM Tivoli Backup Manager, and other installed on the server?

No it doesn't look like it. Just some HP software that came with the server and I have Wireshark installed. Thats all.

Cisco Employee

If this dll is missing your backup won't. Do a search on the system to see if its there and used by other software. If it is, remove this software.

You'll still need a copy of the one from LMS. You can get it from another LMS Server (from the NMSROOT/bin dir) or contact TAC to get / troubleshoot this.

The same dll from another appplication will not work for LMS

Views
Helpful
Replies