Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Banwidth question

Hi,

I'm would like to know what kind of throughput I should expect to see in the REAL WORLD on the following interfaces,

1000, 100 and 10 mbps ethernet and also a clear T1 running PPP from a 3620 to 3620.

I know that I shouldn't expect to see the full amount of course, but I want to know what I _should_ expect and what you see.

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: Banwidth question

Troughput always depends on the smallest link in the path. Know what you may expect!

You may use the following estimates:

T1: ftp performance 160kBps

10Mb ethernet: ftp performance 800kBps

100Mb ethernet ftp performance 8MBps

Gigabit should do much better that that but actual performance depends on all components in the path.

Please note the capital "B", it does not represent bits rather bytes/s.

Regards,

Leo

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Banwidth question

I would submit that the question is not answerable with a definitive answer.

For instance, latency plays a part in throughput. If your T-1 is across town, it likely won't be a factor. If it is via two satellite hops to Uzbekistan, it will. (Old adage is that the highest bandwidth connection in the world is a C-130 (cargo plane) full of hard drives - but the latency is awful!)

Tuning of the end systems (tcp window size, etc.) makes a difference. Connectionless (udp) vs. connection-oriented makes a difference in the amount of protocol overhead. Driver efficiency makes a difference. Frame size make a difference (i.e., all other things being equal, jumbo frames can make a significant difference for bulk file transfers).

Also, measuring further up in the protocol stack (e.g., file throughput) will give the appearance of less throughput since you are adding in the protocol, driver, and line sort of factors.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies