Replies

Basic queries on LMS

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

Just a few points on which i need your advise:

1. Period in the hostname

If a device hostname contains a period (.), then LMS seems to detect it as a domain qualifier and only adds the text before the period into the DCR display name.

Do you recommend not having "." in the device hostname just as a suggestion?

Anyways, when i discovered using "FQDN" instead of "Host name", i was able to see the full hostname of the device in the DCR display name.

2. Is the CDP discovery module recursive in nature? In other words, does it only get into the seed device's cdp table and do a snmp get on the cdp neighbours on their discovered ip addresses or does it also get into their cdp table (the table of the cdp neigbours of the seed device) and do a snmp get on that devices cdp neighbor from there?

3. When i did a cdp discover, i mentioned only the seed device ip, and in the filters, i included the seed device ip and the other ip's that i wanted to restrict discovery on. My question is should i always include the seed device ip in the snmp target and in the include filters or just the devices that i want to discover in the filter and snmp target list? I got this doubt because i was not able to do a discovery with just the ip addresses of the interested devices. I also had to include the ip of the seed device in the filter list.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. Yes, as is RFC standard.  The '.' is not valid for a hostname character.  See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc952 (the period can only be used to delimit the domain name portion of a hostname).  Your hostnames must not contain periods.  FQDNs are the combination of the hostname plus the domain name.  These are perfectly valid for DCR display name values.

2. It is recursive so long as the discovery has not exceeded the configured hop count (if any), and a router boundary has not been reached (unless you have enabled jump router boundaries).

3. You must included ALL devices you wish to discover (including seeds) in your discovery include filters and in the SNMP credential target section.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. Yes, as is RFC standard.  The '.' is not valid for a hostname character.  See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc952 (the period can only be used to delimit the domain name portion of a hostname).  Your hostnames must not contain periods.  FQDNs are the combination of the hostname plus the domain name.  These are perfectly valid for DCR display name values.

2. It is recursive so long as the discovery has not exceeded the configured hop count (if any), and a router boundary has not been reached (unless you have enabled jump router boundaries).

3. You must included ALL devices you wish to discover (including seeds) in your discovery include filters and in the SNMP credential target section.

Thanks a lot Jason for your wonderful explanation and support as always.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: