Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic questions about CISCO IOS

SerraAvatar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody, Jack here,

I have some basic questions about the Cisco IOS, could someone help me addressing some of them please? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I have two IP addresses assigned by our Cable ISP. From what I understood you can configure a Cisco router for multiple IP addresses using the IOS, thereby allowing someone like myself to take advantage of having multiple IP addresses. This may seem unnecessary to some, but I've always wanted to put the 2nd IP address to use, since after all, I've been paying for it.

I was just wondering if someone could confirm that what I'm hoping to accomplish is indeed within the capability of the Cisco IOS (i.e. Fully utilize my 2 IP addresses). As well, if someone could kindly suggest a decent CISCO router for online gaming home use that would be super awesome!

Thank you all so much for reading through the wall of text:)

Jack

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jack

Certainly using multiple IP addresses is in the capability of Cisco IOS routers. How they can be used depends on the relationship of the IP addresses. I am assuming that we are talking about IP addresses assigned for the user to use and that the IP address for the ISP connection is not one of these that we are talking about.

If both of the IP addresses that you have been assigned are within the same subnet then you would assign one of the addresses to the router interface to establish IP communication between the router and the ISP and to enable Internet connectivity for the devices inside your network that will use the router as their gateway to the Internet. The other address that is assigned can be used for address translation and in particular for static address translation which would make one of your devices inside to be reachable for connections initiated from the Internet (if that is something that you might want to do).

If the addresses that are assigned to you are in different subnets then you could assign one address to the outside router interface and assign the other address to the router inside interface. Or you could use the second address for address translation.

I do not have much expertise with online gaming, but I would think that either the Cisco 881 router or the 890 router might be appropriate for you. If 100 Mb connection is sufficient then probably the 881 would be the one to look at. If you need Gig connection then look at the 890.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you so much for the quick and comprehensive reply Rick:)

Seems to me the CISCO IOS is worth a try, it's time to find a deal on a 881 or 890

Have a good one!

Jack

Seems to me the CISCO IOS is worth a try, it's time to find a deal on a 881 or 890

Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipments

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: