Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Best Practices for NCS/PI Server and Application Monitoring question

Hello,

I am deploying a virtual instance of Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 (1.2.1.012) on an ESX infrastructure. This is being deployed in an enterprise enviroment. I have questions around the best practices for moniotring this appliance. I am looking to monitor application failures (services down, db issues) and "hardware" (I understand this is a virtual machine, but statistics on the filesystem and CPU/Memory is good).

Firstly, I have enabled via the CLI the snmp-server and set the SNMP trap host destination. I have created a notification receiver for the SNMP traps inside the NCS GUI and enabled the "System" type alarm. This type includes alarms like NCS_DOWN and PI database is down. I am trying to understand what the difference between enabling SNMP-SERVER HOST via the CLI and setting the Notification destination inthe GUI is? Also how can I generate a NCS_DOWN alarm in my lab. Doing NCS stop does not generate any alarms. I have not been able to find much information on how to generate this as a test.

Secondly, how and which processes should I be monitoring from the Management Station? I cannot easily identify the main NCS procsses from the output of ps -ef when logged in the shell as root.

Thanks guys!

• Network Management
Views
Helpful
Replies