Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Best Upgrade Path for Netflow on a Cisco 4507R

Hi All,

Currently we have a 4507R configured as our core switch, it has been installed with the following modules.

1 Supervisor II+ 1000BaseX (GBIC) WS-X4013+

2 Supervisor II+ 1000BaseX (GBIC) WS-X4013+

3 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4424-GB-RJ45

4 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4424-GB-RJ45

5 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45) WS-X4424-GB-RJ45

6 1000BaseX (GBIC) WS-X4418-GB

7 1000BaseX (GBIC) WS-X4418-GB

We would like to upgrade to allow support for Netflow but do so in an economical way, since we have the current supervisors for only one year.

We would really like to enable Netflow in combination with the ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer for use in analysis of bottlenecks and performance.

Since we currently do not know if we would gain any additional benefits (IE backplane bandwidth) we are kind of in a catch22 situation.

Reading through the documentation for the 4507 it seems that we would need to upgrade our supervisor modules and since we require the redundant functionality would need to buy 2.

Possibly if any one has any ideas on how we can do this without the expensive supervisor(s) upgrade or any other ideas for how we can analyse our network for performance and bottlenecks in regards to application usage, this would be extremely helpful.

Cheers

Chris

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Best Upgrade Path for Netflow on a Cisco 4507R

I understand your situation.

I recommend the first thing you do is start graphing/collecting statistics on the 4507. You can start graphing each port, cpu and memory.

There are a ton of products but I prefer http://www.cacti.net

This would be the first step to looking for bottlenecks and performance. After you get this setup and need further analysis that define what spikes in traffic are or what is filling up the link, well, then you will need something else ;) But, hard statistics are the first step to getting granular traffic analysis.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content