Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

C or C++ Programmers API for IOS/CATOS

Does anyone know if there is a C/C++ Programmers API for Cisco IOS/CATOS? If so, can you point me in the right direction? I want to write a program to query our switches and routers to get information from them and save it to a file from time to time but I can't seem to find any info on Cisco's site about programmer's APIs except a bunch of useless XML crap. Does anyone have any experience using C/C++ to get info from Cisco routers and switches?

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: C or C++ Programmers API for IOS/CATOS

I don't think there is any API for the Cisco IOS or the CAT OS and also it is not recommended to do this. It may damage the router.

Please explain to me how any software can damage hardware.

You might want to try using SNMP. C/C++ probably have SNMP libraries that you could use to get information from the routers and switches.

Thanks. I've already done this with SNMP. The problem is that SNMP is slow. Its okay for querying one device but when you want to query say 200 devices a couple of times an hour you need something fast. SNMP does not cut it.

Views
Helpful
Replies