Our network is managed by LMS 2.5.1 with the latest version of Campus Manager 4.0.3. Over the last week ANI has crashed three times with the error:
Can not connect to server: Exception in connectToAni() .
Unable to load properties from server. Please try after sometime.
The error appears when opening CM Administration from the CiscoWorks home page. So far the only way I have been able to fix the fault is the purge the CM database(perl reinitdb.pl). Stop\starting processes, rebooting server, net stop crmdmgtd, clearing log files... all haven't worked.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks for the reply gtimonen, just out of interest how many devices do you manage through Campus Manager? We're rolling out a new network and it seems to have become worse since we hit the 100+ switch total. Now we have 200+ it's hardly usable!
ANI crashed again today so another purge of the datbase.....
Just as of interst, which platform are you using?
Could you compare the ANIServer.properties file with ANIServer.properties.orig and have a look at LF and CR of theses files.
They are located in ../CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/.
If you encounter any differences between these two, make a copy of ANIServer.properties for backup purpose and change the LF and CR in this file as they are in ANIServer.properties.orig.
If you made any changes, restart the services.
And try to launch CampusAdministration again.
I'm running Win2003 sp1, LMS 2.5.1.
Tried cutting back to the default ANIserver.properties, same problem.
Just out of interest after purging the database again I limited the collection to only a small portion of our network via the search parameters. No problem exists when limiting the search to approx 75 switches.
Have you had any differences in Line-feed and Carriage-return in the file?
Have you any Anit-Virus SW running on the server?
How did you installed LMS 2.5.1. Have you installed LMS 2.5 with SP1 and SP2 and then installed SP3 or did you just installed LMS 2.5 and then upgraded with SP3?
We manage about 2300 devices. SunFire V440, 2CPUs, 4Gb RAM etc... We tried to replace ANIServer.properties with original file, we tried to purge databases, we tried to reinstall LMS 2.5.1 from scratch and even reinstall Solaris. Problems are same.
I installed 2.5 from scratch then applied SP3 when it was released in December.
There definately isn't any difference between the .orig and .properties such as carriage returns. I compared with WinMerge to make sure.
Out of interest to the others that are getting this error, what type of VTP design to you have?
I have a multiple domains on the same campus because of the L2 uplinks from the access layer, and L3 uplinks from dist to core. I am not sure if it's related, but this mix of L3 -> L2 & VTP I suspect is causing problems in other areas such as: Topology map, User Tracking.
gtimonen: Has opening the TAC been any help?
Restart processes, purge databases, blablabla...
Nothing new. It looks like I have to put database purge command into cron.
I just had an issue with LMS 2.5 and SP3. On the server there was a previous version of LMS 2.2. I did an uninstallation and started from scratch with LMS 2.5 and then installed SP3 for which the docu states it is cummulative...
In my case I can definitely say it really wasn´t for RME!! When I looked in CommonServices-SoftwareCenter- DeviceUpdate
choose RME and the opened the list for DevicePackage Version I had to realize, that ALL the versions were set to 1.0. I know that many packages have higher version numbers if SP2 is installed! Installation of SP 3 was without any problem / warning. Application versions did get updated to 4.03 so you couldn´t see something was wrong...
I did a manual update of the devpackages (RME) which I extracted from SP2. Now there are some problems with CM - PathAnalysis (case opened).
I have my doubts that SP3 is cumulative...
*Perhaps* you get a step further if you do a fresh installation then SP1, SP2 and then the "cummulative" SP 3 (or if there is a posibility just uninstall SP3 and then start with SP1 and SP2)
Due to another problem that I'm troubleshooting at the moment with Campus manager I only have 50 devices managed. As seems to be the case in my environment with this number of switches I'm not having any problems.
This certainly wont be the case when I add the rest of the network!
If your still interested I have resolved the ANI server fault on my LMS server.
Previously if I had over 100 devices ANI would stop as listed above and require a reinit of the CM database every day or so. Since disabling auto-discovery schedule for data-collection the problem hasn't appeared for a week. Unfortunately I have to manually scan after adding switches but its a lot easier than the alternative. Scheduling for device discovery can be left enabled.
Hope it helps :)