Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager 4.0.3 - Discovery Hang

lmslattery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I'm having issues with device discovery under CM 4.0.3 running with LMS 2.5.1 . Discovery appears to take forever and hang , when looking in the discovery.log file the following is the last entry recorded.

2006/02/21 14:57:03 EvalTask-Devdiscovery-43 WARNING DevdiscoverySMFGetDeviceType: SNMP unreachable device at: 10.100.4.201 will not remap SMFFactory

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpOutputStream.asnBuildString(SnmpOutputStream.java:234)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpParameters.encodeAuthentication(SnmpParameters.java:465)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpV1ConstructPdu.constructSkeleton(SnmpConstructPdu.java:332)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpRequest.constructSkeleton(SnmpRequest.java:1290)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpRequest.createExecRecord(SnmpRequest.java:1330)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpReqDispatcher.dispatchOneRequest(SnmpReqDispatcher.java:226)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpMultiplexReqDispatcher.readyToSend(SnmpMultiplexReqDispatcher.java:99)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpReqDispatcher$ReqFlowInlet.readyToSend(SnmpReqDispatcher.java:281)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.FlowInlet.run(FlowInlet.java:143)

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.timer.MyDispatcher.run(ThreadManager.java:321)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

2006/02/21 14:57:11 EvalTask-Devdiscovery-02 WARNING DevdiscoverySMFGetIlmiNeighbors: Get ATM ILMI neighbor failed. Reason - com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.futureapi.SnmpReqTimeoutException: SnmpRequestTimeout on 10.110.4.1 while performing SnmpWalk(*) at index = -1

2006/02/21 14:57:58 DBConnecton-Reaper MESSAGE DBConnection: Closed Database connection [hashCode = 7321654]

I've tried a database reinit with no luck. It appears that the initial discovery worked fine howver subsequant discoveries hang with the above mentioned error in the log.

I have also updated the sun JVM to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05)

Any clues anyone ?

Leon

P.S - i know LMS is currently running in Eval mode , I haven;t gotten around to entering the licences yet :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

Looks a lott like CSCsb67241:

Device with unknown community string may cause Device Discovery to hang

Symptom:

Campus Manager 4.0 Device Discovery may hang if it cannot find the SNMP community string for one of the devices. The following error will be seen in the discovery.log:

at com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpOutputStream.asnBuildString(SnmpOutputStream.java:234)

Conditions:

This will occur if multiple community strings is enabled, and a device is discovered by DeviceDiscovery that does not have a matching entry in discoverysnmp.conf.

Workaround:

Add "last resort" entry in your Device Discovery Settings:

Campus Manager -> Administration -> SNMP Settings , click on Add and enter *.*.*.* for Target, the most commonly used community string.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

Looks a lott like CSCsb67241:

Device with unknown community string may cause Device Discovery to hang

Symptom:

Campus Manager 4.0 Device Discovery may hang if it cannot find the SNMP community string for one of the devices. The following error will be seen in the discovery.log:

Conditions:

This will occur if multiple community strings is enabled, and a device is discovered by DeviceDiscovery that does not have a matching entry in discoverysnmp.conf.

Workaround:

Add "last resort" entry in your Device Discovery Settings:

Campus Manager -> Administration -> SNMP Settings , click on Add and enter *.*.*.* for Target, the most commonly used community string.

You are right on the money.

After adding a catch all *.*.*.* snmp string entry i no longer have this issue.

Thanks a million.

Leon