Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Campus Manager SNMP queries with @number

Hi,

We run LMS 2.6 on 3 Windows servers. On the server that runs Campus Manager, we notice that when it does its polling of 5 devices in our network (out of about 600) the devices respond with some SNMP authentication failure SNMP traps.

These traps are saying that are Campus Manager (CM) is causing these messages.

I have finally managed to get a packet capture of the queries that CM is issuing during its polling.

Most of the queries are issued with the proper SNMP read community name, lets say public. However it also issues SNMP queries with the following community names:

public@30

public@1

public@951 (this is the one that generates the error)

public@4013

public@4015

The question is: what are these numbers?

Once I know that then maybe I can work out why only one of them generates the SNMP failures and not the others.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Campus Manager SNMP queries with @number

These numbers correspond to VLAN or spanning tree instances depending on what piece of Campus Manager is doing the polling. If it is User Tracking, then these are VLAN instances. If this is Data Collection, then these are spanning tree instances.

If 951 is generating the authFail trap, take a look at the configuration of the switch sending the trap. I'll bet it has VLAN 951 configured on a port, and that port is most likely shutdown. If that is the case, you can add the following to NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/ANIServer.properties to get the problem to go away:

UTGetVlansOnDownPorts=0

You should also verify that the UTGetVlansOnUserPortsIOS is set to 1 in the same file.

For more on why this notation is being used, check out ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/wsc5000/wsc5000-communityIndexing.html .

Thanks. I've made this change will see how things go on the next polling cycle.

Checked on the devices and it appears that VLAN 1 is shutdown on them.

I have made the change and still getting these authentication failure traps.

Do I have to restart CM?

Cisco Employee

No, but VLAN 1 wasn't your problem correct? you were getting authFail traps from VLAN 951. The actual state of the VLAN interfaces do not matter. What matters is whether or not there are any up/up ports in a given VLAN and if the VLAN in question is active on the device.

Just to make sure you're not on a wild goose chase, look at what SNMP objects are being queried in the packet that triggers the authFail trap. That will help ascertain if the problem is really with UT, or if it is spanning tree related.

Red

It's User Tracking that is doing this when polling the BRIDGE-MIB. For additional information, check out the following link (specifically the Community String Indexing section):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a9b.shtml

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content