cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I move /var and /opt to new partitions on a UNIX server?

mssnider
Level 1
Level 1

LMS 3.0 running on Solaris 10

I get messages stating /var and /opt are near full. In the past, I've done some file (syslog, job purge, etc) cleanup/deletions to fix the problem. However, we're getting these message more and more lately.

I talked to our UNIX admin and we have other drives/partitions on the same server that are a lot larger than the ones being used.

We backed up everything and tried to move /var from /dev/md/dsk/d3 to /dev/md/dsk/d91. At the same time, we moved /opt from /dev/md/dsk/d5 to /dev/md/dsk/d92.

The system was halted during this move.

The server was rebooted and we started LMS. The inventory in Common Services and RME (these are the sections we primarily use) look fine. I ran into a problem when I tested the Sync Archive jobs. It errored out after just 2 seconds stating CM0051 Unable to connect to ConfigMgmtSever process Cause: URN_NOT_FOUND : urn "Archive Mgmt" : Not found !! Action: Please restart ConfigMgmtSever process.

I checked the processes and ConfigMgmtServer had a state of Program started - No mgt msgs received

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Does LMS use the disk device address or the raw device address? Maybe there is a file with these paths stored and it needs updated?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paths cannot be easily changed, but physical drives/partitions should not cause problems.  That is, if /var/adm/CSCOpx and /opt/CSCOpx still exist, but just happen to be on different physical disks, everything should still work.  Post the output of the pdshow command, the dcmaservice.log, and the daemons.log.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paths cannot be easily changed, but physical drives/partitions should not cause problems.  That is, if /var/adm/CSCOpx and /opt/CSCOpx still exist, but just happen to be on different physical disks, everything should still work.  Post the output of the pdshow command, the dcmaservice.log, and the daemons.log.

We ended up restoring from a backup we created before moving /opt and /var.

Config Sync Archives still didn't work though...I got the same error as on my initial discussion.

We just let the system run over the weekend. I retried the same Sync Archive job this morning and it ran fine. I'm not sure why this would happen.

Given the info you provided and the fact that everything is working as it should...we plan to move /opt and /var again this morning.

I will post the outcome.

Thanks,

We halted the system, moved /opt and /var again and then rebooted the server. Once LMS was back up and running, I retried the Sync Archive job that failed. It immediately failed again with the same error.

I tested with other sections of RME; Config Compliance Check, Update Inventory and Config Version Tree...all three types of jobs ran with no problems. This same thing happened after reverting to the backup we took before we originally tried moving /opt and /var. In that case, letting the system run over the weekend helped. When I came in on Monday and retried the Sync Archive job that failed...the job ran fine. So, I expected to come in this morning and have the sync archive job work fine. It didn't though, I got the same error again.

I did find one small issue. I thought I should look at the config mgmt settings. I stumbled across the below;

RME – Admin – Config Mgmt – Archive Mgmt – Archive settings...The Archive location isn't something I've ever changed. It had an error in the folder structure. It read “/var/adm/CSCOpx/files//rme/dcma” There should not be two // in the folder path should there?  I removed it, I kept Enable Shadow Directory and clicked on Apply.

This Sync Archive issue doesn't make any sense to me. I'm grasping at straws.

I'm attaching the output from pdshow. Can you send me the locations of the two files you had requested, per your original reply?

I found the files you reqested and I'm attaching them to this post.

By the way, I went back into RME – Admin – Config Mgmt – Archive Mgmt – Archive settings and the file structure had the double // in there again. I fixed it, applied it and then clicked on anther RME page and then back to where I was. The double // was back. Have you ever heard of this one? I'm guessing it's not a real problem, just something I've never noticed before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

My issue has been resolved. After lots of digging around, it was discovered that there was symbolic link in the shadow directory pointing to itself. This must have been enough to throw off the Sync Archive process.

Once this link was removed, the Sync Archive process starting working again.

The /opt and /var moves to a new drive is completed and the LMS system is working as expected.

Thanks for your time,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: