Helpful
Replies

Can RME 4.2 config archive handle this?

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here's a Partially Successful device in Config Archive:

70. rtr1 PRIMARY STARTUP Feb 11 2009 07:06:15 Successful

71. rtr1 PRIMARY RUNNING Feb 11 2009 07:06:44 Couldnot enter ENABLE Mode from USER Mode on Device. Failed to fetch config using SCP.Administratively disabled. Verify SCP is enabled or not. TFTP: Failed to fetch config using TFTP.

72. rtr1 VLAN RUNNING Feb 11 2009 07:06:59 Couldnot enter ENABLE Mode from USER Mode on Device. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using SCP. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP.

I see the device is currently oddly asking for the username again when entering enable mode. I've been told it's a "new" feature in the particular IOS it's running. Is this why RME is thrown off unable to get the running and VLAN configs? Should it be able to deal with that?

rtr1>en

User Access Verification

Username: userid

Password:

rtr1#

Also, how come RME does appear to retry after Feb 11?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a bug in IOS, actually. The bug is CSCsu21040, and it's fixed in 12.2(33)SXH4. No, RME cannot handle an enable username at this point.

As for not retrying, that could be any number of things. It depends on your config collection schedule, polling schedule, or whether or not ConfigMgmtServer is working correctly.

It's bizarre, because if RME can't handle this. My transport methods are SSH, SCP, and TFTP only, in that order. I ran a Sync Archive against this device a couple of time. The first time it ended up the same as Feb. 11: Startup successful; Running "cannot get into ENABLE mode". The second time, it got the Running Config, and the device disappeared from the Failed list. So somehow RME was able to get the Running configs, but not consistently. Is it trying TFTP and failing most of the times?

I'd think ConfigMgmtServer is working correctly, if it's collecting fine for most of the devices.

Here're my job schedules:

-----------------------------

Admin - Config Mgmt - Archive Mgmt - Collection Settings - Config Collection Settings

Periodic Polling

05:30:00

Periodic Collection

15:50:00

Config Mgmt - Archive Mgmt - Archive Mgmt Jobs

Sync Archive

12-hourly 4am and 4pm

Admin - Inventory - System Job Schedule

Inventory Collection

00:00

Inventory Polling

12:00

It very well could be falling back to TFTP, because RME will abort if it sees an enable user prompt. A sniffer trace, or ArchiveMgmt Service debug will indicate for certain.