I have already discovered the main device in CW and I'm trying to create a collector for monitoring an interface of this device. 1st, I edit the Hosts file from the server to give a name to the ip address for that interface: 192.168.162.70 RMRD_801_SE00.16. 2nd, I add the RMRD_801_SE00.16 as an adhoc device into IPM succesfully. 3rd, I try to create the collector giving a name RMRD_801_TDM, then the source device, the target device (RMRD_801_SE00.16) and the operation, and when I make click on Collector Configuration it shows me the error message.
Are you selecting "Create Collector" from Device Center, or are you going into IPM, and selecting the source device from the device tree?
I am going into IPM. I want you to know that I'm able to create the collector using the IP address succesfully but when I try to do it using the name it shows me the error message.
If you select the device from the selector, then you will only have one choice: it will be in the device tree by its Display Name. So I'm confused as to how you're trying to select by hostname vs. IP. Maybe a screenshot of what you are doing would help.
CW server has a HOSTS file located on C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\, so I edit this file and enter the IP address and the hostname (see example file hosts enclosed).
From CW DOS command line I can ping to the IP address: 192.168.162.206, and also the name I gave it: RCCT_801_SE00.16. I create all the collectors into IPM, I add the name or the IP address as an addhoc device and it's accepted by IPM successfully in both ways. Then I go to Collector on Collector Mngt I make click on Create and go to Collector Configuration page, here I give a collector name and enter the device source, then the device target (first using the hostname) and the operation, then click to the Next button and it shows the error message. But if I do the same steps using the IP address of the device target instead of the hostname, the collector is successfully created.
The error has nothing to do with the target, but rather with the source. I've looked through the code, and only a missing or invalid source device would trigger this. Post the ipmclient.log.
I don't see any evidence of the error you're seeing here. The only problem I see for certain is that the server is not localized for US English. Beyond that, more debugging will need to be enabled. I recommend you open a service request with TAC so that they can do some live troubleshooting of this.
I think I have found the reason about the error I've been getting when I create the collectors. I don't know if this tip will be useful for someone else but I want to share it. Before me there was another technician working on the same Ciscoworks server and creating collectors, and some of them the same collectors I was trying to create but giving a new name to the same IP address. The CW server never shows that the IP address already had a name created, and It shows an error message telling "the selected device (anyname) is not available in IPM".