Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot stop Device Discovery Process, CS 3.2

s.leyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

The Device Discovery Process doesn't end properly anymore. When I try to stop the process manually (Device Discovery Summary or CLI), the following error message is displayed:

"Exception in thread "main" com.cisco.nm.csdiscovery.CSDiscoveryException: Excpetion while unpublishing discovery urn. CTMRegistryClient::deleteURNEntry() : "CSDiscovery" not present

at com.cisco.nm.csdiscovery.util.DiscoveryUtil.unPublishURN(DiscoveryUtil.java:1230)

at com.cisco.nm.csdiscovery.CSDiscoveryManager.stopDiscovery(CSDiscoveryManager.java:111)

at com.cisco.nm.csdiscovery.DiscoveryCLI.main(DiscoveryCLI.java:346)

I can only stop the process with the Job Browser but since the process was canceled, new devices are not discovered.

We are using LMS 3.1.0, CS 3.2.0 on Solaris.

31 Replies 31

We could locate an IP range which seems to cause the problem. By excluding these IPs the discovery process runs fine with or without debugging. The process hangs up when the filter is not set. The IP range contains exclusively small non-Cisco devices (Nexans).

While we have seen cases where Discovery will stall on devices which do not support SNMP, I find it odd that devices can cause Discovery to completely lock up. Do these devices support SNMP, or are they purely IP nodes?

They support SNMP.

That may be part of the problem. If they reply with an unknown response, a Discovery thread might crash leading to the hang.

While filtering is a good workaround, it would be helpful to try and fix this. Providing the thread dump and ngdiscovery.log to TAC will help get to the root cause.

OK, I'll open a TAC case on Monday. Weekend has just begun here in Germany and I can't open a case directly.

Have a nice weekend.

Any news for this case ?

We have the same problems with the DeviceDiscovery on the LMS3.1 on Windows.

With help of the TAC the issue could be resolved now.

that's great for you, but would you mind sharing the solution ? :-)

I still have one customer with the problem of a hanging CSDiscovery. TAC provided a patch for CSCsv42110 - while it solved the problem for one customer it did not for the other one...

The patch for CSCsv42110 didn't solve our problem neither. The issue was resolved after several class-files were updated. Since I don't know what was really changed and if it's applicable for everybody I don't think it would be a good idea to share the files with you.

I just wanted to advise that it works for us now after TAC intervention. Would be great if the analysis of our issue would help you too but it's not up to me to decide. Good luck anyway !

Silvia,thank you for this information! Would it be ok for you to publish the SR number so that I can give this info to the case owner and let him have a look into your case so he can decide if your solution could be of any help for my issue (in case there are any parallels)?

Good idea, here it is: SR 610799223

many thanks!

again, thanks a lot Silvia!

the case owner decided that I should install these class files and it worked! today discovery finished the first time for weeks or better month now. While there are still some points we have to troubleshoot more deeper it is a big step forward!

unfortunately, the classfiles fixes our problem only temporarily. The fist adhoc disco cycle finished without a problem as well as the first cycle of all 3 scheduled discovery jobs. But the next day the discovery job hungs again. So we are again at the point of troublshooting...

BTW, if it could be of interest for anybody, the SR is 609765723.

... if cisco staff is reading this... ;-)

I provided some java thread dumps to the SR 609765723 which were collected every 10 mins over a period of 6 hours along with some log files (debugging enabled for the following modules:

CSDiscoveryAdaptor

Discovery Framework

Discovery Util

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: