cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Capturing POST boot up messages

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone know whether the boot up POST messages are kept somewhere on the devices itself? For instance debug messages are kept in local log buffer (show log) but I have no idea whether the POST messages are kept or not. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This won't work for routers. It does work for desktop switches running 12.2(25)SEE and higher. The 2950s cannot run that code, but do offer a "show post" command.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depends on the device type, but "show diagnostic post" should work on the desktop switches.

Thanks for the reply. I found that this must be some kind newer OS for this command but I found no trace of it on Cat2950 (IOS 12.1.14), Cat3750 (IOS 12.2.25), Cisco 2811 (IOS 12.4.9) and those are the kind of devices I have in my network. the closest is on the cisco 2811 router that shows:

CarzoSYD01c2801#sho diag?

diag

Router#sho diag

Router#sho diag ?

<0-0> Slot number

| Output modifiers

Router#sho diag

This won't work for routers. It does work for desktop switches running 12.2(25)SEE and higher. The 2950s cannot run that code, but do offer a "show post" command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: