cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCA and SG500

jhickman
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG500 in place, all configured and running. I configured it all through the web, which was torture.

I now want to try out the Cisco Configuration Assistant, but I cannot get it to log into the SG500. I get the Authentication window, put in the creds that i've been using to log into the web interface, but it won't accept them, and just keeps prompting me for the credentials until it finally fails.

What am I doing wrong?

I only have one user, the default, for which I have changed the password.

-Jed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jed,

Doesn't look like its going to work, unfortunately. CCA 3.2.1 only has limited support for the SX200 and 300 series switches:

The SG500s will show up in the topology, but only as an unsupported device, and will bring you to the web gui for config just as the SG300s do for anything other than the most basic config.

Hopefully full support for all the SF / SG series switches is on the roadmap.

Hope that helps, sorry its probably not the answer you wanted to hear. Do you have any experience with IOS/CLI on enterprise switches? You may prefer config via CLI on these switches, they are not a far cry from true IOS. I can't seem to find the CLI guide for the 500s, but I don't think its different from the 300s.

Best,

David

Please remember to rate helpful resonses and identify correct answers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jed,

First, just want to point out that you can configure with CLI, which I find much less torturous than the web ui.

On to the CCA issue, do you have HTTP or HTTPS enabled on the SG500? I believe that you'll need one or the other for CCA to work.  In the connect screen in CCA, under advanced options, choose the proper HTTP protocol, and whether the username/pw combo you are using has read/write or read access.

Also, make sure that you are on the most recent firmware on the SG500, and using the latest CCA (3.2.1) as I believe the CCA support was fixed only in the most recent firmware. As I'm not really a CCA user, I just tested with my SG300, but I don't have a SG500 here to test with. It may or may not be supported, as the documentation for CCA doesn't look like it is, but I don't know why the 300 would be and not the 500.

In the future, you'll find the best information on the small business switches in the Small Business - switches forum.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave,

Yes, i'm using the most recent firmware (1.2.5.70) and it is the active firmware.Yes, i'm using the newest CCA as well (3.2.1).

I have turned on all options on the switch, 80/443, telnet, SSH....and tried all options to connect with CCA.

I created a new account as well, 15.

I also edited the default SSL cert settings to match the switch config.

None of this has worked. I still get the constant re-prompt for realm "Admin" on "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx".

Any other ideas?

Hi Jed,

Doesn't look like its going to work, unfortunately. CCA 3.2.1 only has limited support for the SX200 and 300 series switches:

The SG500s will show up in the topology, but only as an unsupported device, and will bring you to the web gui for config just as the SG300s do for anything other than the most basic config.

Hopefully full support for all the SF / SG series switches is on the roadmap.

Hope that helps, sorry its probably not the answer you wanted to hear. Do you have any experience with IOS/CLI on enterprise switches? You may prefer config via CLI on these switches, they are not a far cry from true IOS. I can't seem to find the CLI guide for the 500s, but I don't think its different from the 300s.

Best,

David

Please remember to rate helpful resonses and identify correct answers.

David,

Thanks again for you help.

I've contacted my rep at Cisco as well. He's digging in to find out where the miscommunication happened, as their site clearely states that CCA will work with the SG500 series.

I have no issue with CLI, but there were two reasons I was looking for the functionality of this tool. Enterprise management (we have 15 switches in the environment now, and are looking to double that within the next year) and help for those on my staff that aren't familiar with CLI, but still need to support these switches. CNA has been great for the Catalysts we have, so I was hoping for similar functionality here.

If I here anything back from Cisco, I'll update this posting.

-Jed

Cisco will be revising their data sheets.

Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:37 PM
To: xxx
Subject: SG500 update - FW: Your Cisco.com Feedback

Good Afternoon xxx,

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.  The mistakes you uncovered will be resolved by this revision to the datasheet.

Have a great rest of your week.

Best Regards,

Jake

sg500: still not working after three years....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: