cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP Neighbour in Usertracking

Tobias Heisele
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509, which is connected to a 3750. Although there is a correct cdp entry in the 3750, the ip address of the 6509 is listet in usertracking, conntected to port 1/0/1 of the 3750. Any ideas why and how to debug this?

9 Replies 9

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Tobias

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Check VTP and trunking is configured properly between 6509 and 3750.

2. Try adding 6509 as seed device in ANI Server Discovery Settings.

HTH

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you poll the dot1dTpFdbAddress on the 3750 is the 6509 showing up there? Also, how about from the output of show arp?

If you poll the cdpCacheTable does the 6509 show up?

There is a cdpCacheTable entry for the 6509. That's why I don't unterstand its appearence in ut.

Does it also show up in the arp table?

Can you try rediscovering the 3550 in CM topology services? Does this make a difference?

How long has the entry for the 6509 been in UT?

The 6509 and 3750 are new in our campus. Besides the 6509 ut entry can be found on both ciscoworks maschines - one running CM3.3, the other running CM4.0.5.

a.buergin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi T.Kraemer,

I had a similar Problem some days ago with a 2970-Switch wich was seen as Neighbour Device in the Device Discovery but never found in the Campus Data Collection.

In my case the switch had the same Name like another switch in my network and the Spanningtreeprotocol of the both neighbors were different.

I dont know which of the parameters was the problem, but after this changes in the next discovery my Switch was seen correctly.

Maybe it would help you?!

The link between 3750 and 6509 is configured as access mode - I thinks thats where the problem is. I'm not sure, if I can change that fact, because the 6509 is our peer to a different campus (that's why it's not managed via our cisco works, has a different vtp, etc.). I just thought, links with cdp entries are ignored generally, no matter if they are access oder trunk mode.

Maybe if you add that 6509 as seed device in ANI server Discovery Settings. It works for me: a switch connected via access port with different VTP domain but seen via CDP.

HTH

That would penetrate the 6509 via SNMP (because our CW is not in the ACL). I think there is no solution for this special topic, but thanks for all the tips.