Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CDP trouble!!!

hi,

my company don't want to activate CDP in the network devices they are afraid that it will make a lot of traffic in the network.

can i work with LMS 2.2 without CDP??

can i take the list of devices from HPOV??

How can make them understand that CDP don't make a lot of traffic in the network??

thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES
Red

Re: CDP trouble!!!

Without CDP, you cannot use Campus Manager.

All other parts of LMS will work fine.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: CDP trouble!!!

Sabri

I did a packet capture and looked at CDP packets. In the capture that I did I was seeing the length of the packet as 194 bytes. Given that the size may vary somewhat depending on what is being reported it still seems reasonable to say that CDP packets are about 200 bytes. They are transmitted at 60 second intervals. Who would say that 200 bytes every 60 seconds was a significant amount of traffic?

It might make more of an impression on them if you enabled CDP on an interface and did your own packet capture. Then you could show your management the actual packet size in your network. It is transmitted every 60 seconds. You can do calculations on the total traffic volume - and it will be a pretty small amount.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content