cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Centralized Switchport Monitoring?

Ryan Curry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I'm putting feelers out there to see if there's a way to configure a SPAN session with the monitor "port" being on a totally different subnet (across a WAN if you will).  Essentially I'd like to be able to have a wireshark terminal(s) set up in our data center and be able to configure a port on a remote site to push to it.  This would alleviate the need to go on-site to either configure a PC or add a PC to troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance all!

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes - in a limited fashion. it's called rspan and requires switch infrastructure that supports it. Please see this Cisco document for more info and this one for specific information.

Thanks Marvin, I'll check out those docs.  I was under the impression that RSPAN was limited to an infrastructure that shared a common layer 3 gateway and could not traverse a routed boundary (i.e. a WAN or multi-hop destination).  I'll look into that.

Right - there are limitations. You cannot nor should you want to span/rspan traffic to far. Intervening links could easily be overwhelmed / broken if this were possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco