cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changes In RME Syslog Severity Level Summary Report

rbauer
Level 1
Level 1

Under Ciscoworks LMS 2.1 the RME Syslog severity level summary report grouped it's findings by DEVICE NAME with a hostname.

Since upgrading to Ciscoworks LMS 2.5 the RME Syslog Severity Level Summary Report groups it's findings by INTERFACE with just an IP address. This does not seem to be very useful unless you know your IP addresses or click on the address and get taken to Device Center where you can then see the hostname.

Does anyone know how to fix this so that the new report more closely resembles the old report ?

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure you upgrade to LMS 2.6. The more recent versions offer both an Interface and a Device Name column so you can still sort reports on the device's name rather than the IP address.

If using an /etc/host file instead of DNS for the devices names should I specify short hostnames such as:

192.168.1.1 myrouter

or should I specify fully qualified names such as:

192.168.1.1 myrouter.myorganization.com

Does one or the other work better with Ciscoworks ?

It all depends on what you want to see. Of course, if you have duplicate hostnames across multiple subdomains in your network, you will need to use fully-qualified names in /etc/hosts.

When campus discovers devices and uses a local /etc/host file for reverse name resolution to put them in the DCR, does it figure out the correct values for Displayname, Hostname, and Domain Name differently based on whether the /etc/hosts entry is formatted as

192.168.1.1 Myrouter

or

192.168.1.1 Myrouter.myorganization.com

I guess what I'm asking is, if you go with just the hostname "Myrouter" would the DCR Devices Information domain name field wind up being blank then ?

Yes, the domain name field would be empty. There are two properties Device Discovery will use to determine what, if any, DCR updates are done:

nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName

nameserver.updateDomainNameSuffix

These two are false by default. If you set both to true, then all fields of DCR will be updated if Device Discovery finds name changes in existing DCR devices. These properties are kept in NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/DeviceDiscovery.properties .

Okay, so this strongly suggests that if one is only using an /etc/host file for devices, then each /etc/host entry should always be structured as

x.x.x.x devicename.domain.extension

i.e.

192.168.1.1 myrouter.myorganization.com

Right ?

Well, I use the following:

x.x.x.x hostname.domain.com hostname

That covers all my bases.

Do you know if the 2.6 upgrade also adds the ability to rename or delete a DFM user defined group under Configuration->Other Configurations->Group Administration ? In 2.5 it seems like once you create one you can't change it's name or delete it.

As long as you are the user that created it, you have the ability to delete it. Modification is not possible, as DFM will not let you save changes to an existing group.

rbauer
Level 1
Level 1

Is it a requirement that CDP be enabled on all managed devices in order for Ciscoworks to work properly ? What breaks or doesn't work right if CDP is disabled on a device ?

If you do not have CDP, then Campus Manager Discovery will not work. Everything else, including Campus Manager Data Collection will work. However, your Topology Map will lack any links.

Are any known security vulnerabilities that pertain to running CDP in the network ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: