cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing IP of a device.

adamthardy
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to change a device IP, so that it will show up in DFM as the correct hostname without deleting the device and rediscovering it? I'm interested in keeping all the history with previous configurations and such in CiscoWorks, that gets removed when you delete / rediscover a device.

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it the case that the discovered IP is not the one that is associated with the device in DNS?

You might try adding a DNS record or alias, either on your DNS server or in the local etc/hosts that resolves the discovered IP (with associated history as you noted) to the preferred host name.

Hope this helps.

For example: I am just doing rework of network and I have a current device in Ciscoworks. I just need to change the IP of that device and then have it reflect as the name I give it in DFM. I already have DNS records for the device before I edit the IP. It doesn't seem to reflect as the DNS name if I edit IP.

My question is if there is a way to change the IP of a device through CiscoWorks suite, so that all the other products (DFM, RME) will keep all the information and reflect the new name and IP address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: