We have a Ciscoworks LMS 3.1 installed in our client and is managing a Cisco AS5400XM. We encountered a problem with DFM version 3.1.0 wherein the device was stuck at Learning state and discovery progress of 10%. We already did some troubleshooting steps like, stop and start of the following processes: EssMonitor, InventoryCollector, TISServer, and Interactor all on separate occasions, but the status was still the same. The main purpose of having the Ciscoworks LMS 3.1 is just to manage the AS5400XM and nothing else. We have to make the device manageable so that we can utilize the email notification feature which is important to the client. Do we need to upgrade the DFM version for it to be manageable? Other modules such as RME and CM do not have any problem with AS5400XM, just the DFM. I noticed one line on the logs that shows:
Maybe, but you may be seeing a known bug which currently has no fix. Make sure the fully-qualified domain name of this server is resolvable. That name is the one found on the Computer Name tab of the system properties screen next to "Full computer name".
Also, check to see how many instances of the DLLs msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll, and msvcr80.dll are on the system. Where are they, and at what version are they?
We tried to upgrade the DFM version from 3.1.0 to 3.1.2 but there was a warning message that we lack swap space. The swap space that we have is 4096MB while the required one is 7396MB. Is it ok to proceed with the upgrade just having 4096MB swap space?
Question We run asr9001 with XR 6.1.3, and we have a very long delay to
login w/ SSH 1 or 2 to the device compare to IOS device. After
investigation, the there is 1s delay between the client KEXDH_INIT and
the server (XR) KEXDH_REPLY. After debug ssh serv...
Introduction The purpose of this document is to demonstrate the Open
Shortest Path First (OSPF) behavior when the V-bit (Virtual-link bit) is
present in a non-backbone area. The V-bit is signaled in Type-1 LSA only
if the router is the endpoint of one or ...
Hi, I am seeing quite a few issues with patch install and wanted to
share my experience and workaround to this. Login to admin via CLI, then
access root with the “shell” command Issue “df –h” and you’ll probably
see the following directory full or nearly ...