Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CISCO Device Type by MAC Address

Morning All,

I'm looking to find the 'device type' from the MAC Address ina packet capture.

I realise the first 3 bytes indicate the OUI, but once I know it is a CISCO device how can I work out the type of device it is i.e. 6500 catalyst, router etc.

Any pointers in the right direction would be grateful.

Thanks,

Mario

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: CISCO Device Type by MAC Address

A universally administered address is uniquely assigned to a device by its manufacturer; these are sometimes called "burned-in addresses" (BIA). The first three octets (in transmission order) identify the organization that issued the identifier and are known as the Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI).The following three (MAC-48 and EUI-48) or five (EUI-64) octets are assigned by that organization in nearly any manner they please, subject to the constraint of uniqueness. The IEEE expects the MAC-48 space to be exhausted no sooner than the year 2100; EUI-64s are not expected to run out in the foreseeable future.

2 REPLIES
Silver

A universally administered address is uniquely assigned to a device by its manufacturer; these are sometimes called "burned-in addresses" (BIA). The first three octets (in transmission order) identify the organization that issued the identifier and are known as the Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI).The following three (MAC-48 and EUI-48) or five (EUI-64) octets are assigned by that organization in nearly any manner they please, subject to the constraint of uniqueness. The IEEE expects the MAC-48 space to be exhausted no sooner than the year 2100; EUI-64s are not expected to run out in the foreseeable future.

Thank you for the reply.

I was aware that the first 3 octets refer to the manufacturer/organization, I was looking to find out if, knowing a device is 'CISCO' by the first 3 octents, would I be able to make a guesse at the hardware type.

From your answer it seems not.

Thanks again,

Mario

Views
Helpful
Replies