cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco EMM IOS 12.4(20)T

msoleimanzadeh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am planning to set up EMM on our routers and wrote my XML and need to interface it with the router.

Would you please guide me to find out how to point it to the router? the plan is if someone wants certain

information like basic troubleshooting info, then the menu pops up and let them see those troubleshooting

options.

Cisco routers in our network are 2811 & 3845.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EMM menu definitions can be loaded directly from a network server or from flash.  For example, if your MDF is called tshoot.mdf, and you have it on a TFTP server, run the following from EXEC enable mode:

emm mdf tftp://10.1.1.1/tshoot.mdf

Thanks in advance;

I have wrote my program in .XML then download it from a location in my laptop as you can see below, also I Placed it in Flash, But when you

do# SH MDF, there is no MDF on there. Do I need to change the .XML to .MDF

Also, Can you run EMM on both Routers and Switches?

lab-router#emm mdf tftp://192.168.28.111/HD_Troubleshooting.xml
EMM Error at line 35: mm_start_element_handler: Ignore unknown element , parent element key 51

lab-router#copy tftp flash
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.28.111
Source filename []? HD_Troubleshooting.xml
Destination filename [HD_Troubleshooting.xml]?
Accessing tftp://192.168.28.111/HD_Troubleshooting.xml...
Loading HD_Troubleshooting.xml from 192.168.28.111 (via FastEthernet0/0): !
[OK - 1459 bytes]

1459 bytes copied in 0.560 secs (2605 bytes/sec)

lab-router#emm mdf flash:HD_Troubleshooting.xml

================================================================================
                     Help Desk Basic troubleshooting menu

Enter ?# for item help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Vlan Port Changes
2. Show interface status
3. Shut down loopback 0
4. Enable loopback 0

Enter selection: 2

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            10.10.253.188   YES NVRAM  up                    up 
Service-Engine0/0          unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down
FastEthernet0/1            10.31.253.1     YES NVRAM  administratively down down
Loopback0                  10.0.254.31     YES NVRAM  up                    up

Press any key to continue...

================================================================================

Actually, we are looking for a product to provide a menu for our Help Desk teem to have basic troubleshooting access (ping, Trace, exetened ping, ip route, intereface look up) without going to enable mode (privileged mode) for both Switches & Routers!

It seems EMM is not supported on Switches!

Any idea! Thanks again in advance for your time.

Thanks

Best Regards

Mark Soleimanzadeh

Engineering / 972-201-0690

Post the HD_Troubleshooting.xml MDF.  Typically, I name my EMM files *.mdf for easier identification.  EMM is currently only available on devices that can run 12.4T or 15.x or 15.xT code.  This is mainly routers.

Joseph,

Is there a product out there by Cisco (other than Cisco Works) that can be configured like EMM to work with Cisco Switches & Routers ( IOS-12.2 and higher). or  could you please recommand another solution for us?

Thanks

m

You could use EEM's Tcl to build a menu application from scratch.  Since you have a relatively small menu, this shouldn't be too difficult.  I don't know of any other virtual console applications pre-built.  As you note, CiscoWorks could do this.

Thanks but I am not asking for configuring the menu, I know

how to do that. My Question is that  " Is there a product by

cisco that is capable of doing the same thing as EMM does

for Switch & Router both, Not just the router?"

Thanks again

My point was that you could use the Embedded Event Manager (EEM not EMM) to build a menu on routers and switches.  You would need to code everything yourself, though.  There are no pre-built menu constructs in EEM.  However, EEM gives you the Tcl scripting language so you can print menu options to a terminal and read input from the user.