Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP SLA - RTTMON MIB - Problem setting values

Roycey Cheeran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to use Cisco IP SLA to monitor QOS for voice data. I want to create a SLA operation from my NMS. I am using the RTTMON-MIB for this purpose. I was testing it out by creating an ICMP Echo operation, and I set the below values

rttMonCtrlAdminRttType.1 -Integer 9

rttMonEchoAdminProtocol.1 -Integer 27

rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1 -OctetString "172.22.202.12"

rttMonEchoAdminTargetPort.1 -Integer 8000

rttMonEchoAdminInterval.1 -Integer 20

rttMonEchoAdminNumPackets.1 -Integer 100

rttMonCtrlAdminStatus.1 -Integer 4

rttMonScheduleAdminRttStartTime.1 -TimeTicks 1
rttMonScheduleAdminRttLife.1 -Integer 2147483647

I have set these values for an INDEX 1, using snmpset_requests. Can anyone tell me as to how do I go about with the indexing. I just chose 1 for the above eg and set the values. But I see the  rttMonCtrlAdminIndex oid has not been updated with the new entry. Neither am I able to set the value of index as 1 for this oid using snmpset.

Can anyone please tell me how the indexing is done? Should I set the value of the index?

The other question is the format for the target ipadress? This OID accepts IP address as an Octet String. So '172.22.202.24' is ok? or should I convert it into some other format.

Regards

Roycey

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The admin index is a random number which you must generate.  It can be between 1 and 2147483647.   Use your management station's pseudo-random number generator to pick an initial value.  Then test it by polling rttMonCtrlAdminStatus for that index.  If a row exists, pick a new index.

Yes, the IP address is of type OCTET STRING.  You are setting it correctly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The admin index is a random number which you must generate.  It can be between 1 and 2147483647.   Use your management station's pseudo-random number generator to pick an initial value.  Then test it by polling rttMonCtrlAdminStatus for that index.  If a row exists, pick a new index.

Yes, the IP address is of type OCTET STRING.  You are setting it correctly.

Hi Joe

Thanks for the reply. So you mean to say, that I set all the required OIDS with values using a index generated by the pseudo-random number generator and dont have to worry about adding this index into the rttMonCtrlAdminIndex oid ?

Regards

Roycey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: