Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco LMS - logs exceed limit

Hi friends,

First of all, let me introduce myself since I'm new with cisco community. I'm syafiq currently working as an network administrator in Malaysia.

I need guidance on cisco LMS as I'm really new with the LMS systems. Currently I'm having issue with LMS where the log files are exceeding the size limit set by pervious administrator. Can anyone help me on how to backup/ remove the logs file and set it to a new locations i.e. new drive ? LMS-error.JPG

thanks in advanced!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did you tried Logrot?

In Logrot you dont change the log file location. The way it works is following :

> You select a log file.

> You configure logrot parameters to tell ciscoworks (or logrot process) when to rotate the content of log file when it reaches the defined limit.

> You schedule the logrot to run daily, weekly or monthly.

**>For immediately purging log file data if it is taking a lot of space you can use the immediate option under Schedule, by selecting a log file.

See image for procedure:

For more details please check the user guide details on logort:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_common_services_software/3.3/user/guide/admin.html#wp1144251

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Welcome to CSC.

Ciscoworks has many features and all of those features has dedicated processes. All those processes and many ciscoworks agnets write their output (logggin) to the *.log files. Most of them are under NMSROOT/logs.

These files are usually not important enough (except syslog.log mostly) unless there is any issue with any of the LMS function and it needs to be t/shooted.

But these logs files should not be deleted, nor there data needs to be preserved for long, unless your organisation policy says so.

Because processes keeps on writing constantly to these log files, these log files can grow and can continue to grow to become extravagantly huge sometimes, hence need to be controlled, which is why the 'Logrot' feature was inlcuded.

Logrot is a log rotation program that enables you to control the log files size growth. It helps you to:

•Rotate log files while CiscoWorks is running.

•Optionally archive and compress rotated logs.

•Rotate log files only when they have reached a particular size.

You can configure it from :

Common Services > Server > Admin > Log Rotation

Please check configuring log Maintaining Log Files section of the user guide for more details.

-Thanks

Viinod

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for the response and guidance. As per the guide reference and your instruction I tried to change my back up directory path which is currently in C:\ to our shared drive in Z:\ but failed.

Can I change the path without have to re-installing back cisco LMS?

thanks in advance

Did you tried Logrot?

In Logrot you dont change the log file location. The way it works is following :

> You select a log file.

> You configure logrot parameters to tell ciscoworks (or logrot process) when to rotate the content of log file when it reaches the defined limit.

> You schedule the logrot to run daily, weekly or monthly.

**>For immediately purging log file data if it is taking a lot of space you can use the immediate option under Schedule, by selecting a log file.

See image for procedure:

For more details please check the user guide details on logort:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_common_services_software/3.3/user/guide/admin.html#wp1144251

-Thanks

Vinod

Hi,

Thanks. I managed to run logrot. Apparently when i tried to restart cisco works, another error message pops out. see below error :

any problem why this happens?

Hi Vinod,

I have recover my LMS and it is currently running without issue. Thanks for the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: