Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2

Alhafiz Ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support

I've one appliance Cisco Prime NCS but i 've only license for Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2. DO i need to install the Cisco Prime NCS ? Or i need to install Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2. 

Because as i know today all NCS was upgraded to Cisco Prime Infrastructure. 

This is fresh install. I plan want to install directly Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

How can i install the Cisco Prime Infrastructure into Cisco Prime NCS appliance? As i know inside the Cisco Prime NCS appliance already have pre-install for Cisco Prime NCS right? 

I've download the installation file form Cisco website but all the file is ova file which is mean i will need ESXI server. The problem is i only have Cisco Prime NCS appliance instead of UCS server that have ESXI

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For a physical appliance you do not use the OVA files - those are for soft appliance on VMware ESX server only. Instead use the ISO files and burn to a DVD which will be bootable on the physical appliance (see more on that below).

If you have SAS (Software Assurance Service) you are entitled to upgrade although be careful since the hardware requirements have stepped up a bit (link) since NCS 1.x and thus the older appliance may not be suitable for anything larger than a relatively small PI deployment.

The current PI is 2.1 which would use the file PI-APL-2.1.0.0.87-1-K9.iso. It can be found here. You would burn it to a DVD and then boot from it per the instructions here.

Hi Marvin

THanks for the information. Below is the license that i have which is Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2. If i install the Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.1. THe license will be valid? or not valid. The problem now we are missing the Bootable CD. 

I try to download from cisco but the file is only ova for prime infrastructure 1.2 

Network Control System Hardware

PRIME-NCS-APL-K9

Cisco Prime Network Control System Hardware Appliance

AIR-PWR-CORD-UK

AIR Line Cord United Kingdom

PI-APL-IMAGE-1.2

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Appliance Software

Licenses Upgrade for Prime Infrastructure

R-PI12-K9

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2

R-PI12-BASE-K9

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Base License and Software

L-PI12-LF-100

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 - Lifecycle - 100 Device Lic

L-PI12-LF-100-LIC

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 - Lifecycle - 100 Device Lic PAK

L-PILMS42-100

Prime Infrastructure LMS 4.2 - 100 Device Base Lic

You're right, the iso for 1.2 is no longer published on the PI download page. You can find the 1.3 and higher ISOs there though. If your purchased also included Software Assurance Service (SAS) support, you are entitle to download and install the more current versions.

Your PI 1.2 Base and Lifecycle license are compatible with 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 and 2.1. If you had Assurance licenses, those would have to be re-issued as of 2.0.

LMS is, of course, a separate product - the license for which is provided with PI as a courtesy to assist customers' migration efforts.

HI Marvin

I've read your feedback on below discussion. What i understand based on below discussion we need SASU contract if want to upgrade. But based on previous back you've mentioned that PI 1.2 Base and Lifecycle license are compatible with 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 and 2.1. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11748626/cost-prime-infrastructure-12-upgrade-20

On my case I want to do new installation. I planning to install PI 2.1 as the latest version. The license i only have as per indicated before which is PI 1.2 license Base and Lifecyle. So i will no need SASU contract or need to upgrade the license or buy the license right?

Because as you've mentioned my PI 1.2 License Based and Lifecycle are compatible with 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 and 2.1

There is a difference between having a license file that doesn't need to be replaced and having the right to use any version of software.

Cisco does not currently enforce the right to use upgraded PI software via technical means (i.e. via the license file). However, your cisco.com (CCO) userid should only allow you to download upgraded software if you have an associated support contract for it (SASU or the new PASS style).

When you download software, you are required to abide by the End User License Agreement (EULA - link). If you read it closely, it states in part:

"Software, Upgrades and Additional Copies. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THE AGREEMENT: (1) CUSTOMER HAS NO LICENSE OR RIGHT TO MAKE OR USE ANY ADDITIONAL COPIES OR UPGRADES UNLESS CUSTOMER, AT THE TIME OF MAKING OR ACQUIRING SUCH COPY OR UPGRADE, ALREADY HOLDS A VALID LICENSE TO THE ORIGINAL SOFTWARE AND HAS PAID THE APPLICABLE FEE TO AN APPROVED SOURCE FOR THE UPGRADE OR ADDITIONAL COPIES;" (emphasis added).