cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.1 Inventory Job

bm_5789
Level 1
Level 1

My cisco prime infrastructure performs a switch inventory job every night at 22:00 hrs.  When I looked at the syslog of the devices in the inventory, I see some entries that I never saw with other LMS versions.

2014-06-30 22:00:01    Local7.Notice    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    5410: Jun 30 22:00:00.623 CST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx by snmp
2014-06-30 22:00:01    Local7.Notice    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    5411: Jun 30 22:00:01.567 CST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty1 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
2014-06-30 22:05:10    Local7.Notice    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    5412: Jun 30 22:05:09.008 CST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
)

I don't understand what the PI is doing with the switches.  Does anyone know what is happening during this inventory background job?  TIA

8 Replies 8

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

This must be happening because of  this option:

On PI GUI:

Go to  Admin > System Settings > Config Archive page, can you try disabling the option for "Archive Configuration after Inventory Sync"?

I think the check box is checked and which is why as soon as inventory ran , PI start to collect the configuration archive and in that case ,it logged into the device and which is why it is generating the SYS_config  syslogs.

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thank you for your excellent information.  Another question - on my current LMS3.2 installation, I scheduled an Periodic Polling to run everyday at a set time.  Can I do the same thing on PI2.1?  TIA

Hi ,

Go to Operate > Device Work Center >Configuration Archive

click on  "scheduled Archive"  same as LMS.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks again.  I'm still dont understand the log entries on the switch.  Did you see my screenshot?  The setting you mentioned is already disabled.  TIA

check the other backgroud task , see if any thing is related to SSH\Telent  which need the PI to login to the device like configuration collection etc.. must be some background task

Thanks-

Afroz

Hi,

Can you disable the "switch inventorytask"  from the Admin > Background Tasks  and hope that will take care of syslog issue,

Thanks-

Afroz

I checked the settings.  I attached a screenshot of the settings currently used.  The box you referenced was not checked.

hdporsche1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

we have the same problem maybe; Cisco Prime IF 2.1 is changing the running-configs and produces out-of-syncs ;

it turns so for us is, as if Cisco Prime IF 2.1 a snmp-server host x.x.x.x community entry writes in the running-config,

so are running-and startup-config are out-of-sync; is this correct?  Herbert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: