cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.1 Inventory Job

bm_5789
Level 1
Level 1

My cisco prime infrastructure performs a switch inventory job every night at 22:00 hrs.  When I looked at the syslog of the devices in the inventory, I see some entries that I never saw with other LMS versions.

2014-06-30 22:00:01    Local7.Notice    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    5410: Jun 30 22:00:00.623 CST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx by snmp
2014-06-30 22:00:01    Local7.Notice    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    5411: Jun 30 22:00:01.567 CST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty1 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
2014-06-30 22:05:10    Local7.Notice    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    5412: Jun 30 22:05:09.008 CST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
)

I don't understand what the PI is doing with the switches.  Does anyone know what is happening during this inventory background job?  TIA

8 Replies 8

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

This must be happening because of  this option:

On PI GUI:

Go to  Admin > System Settings > Config Archive page, can you try disabling the option for "Archive Configuration after Inventory Sync"?

I think the check box is checked and which is why as soon as inventory ran , PI start to collect the configuration archive and in that case ,it logged into the device and which is why it is generating the SYS_config  syslogs.

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thank you for your excellent information.  Another question - on my current LMS3.2 installation, I scheduled an Periodic Polling to run everyday at a set time.  Can I do the same thing on PI2.1?  TIA

Hi ,

Go to Operate > Device Work Center >Configuration Archive

click on  "scheduled Archive"  same as LMS.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks again.  I'm still dont understand the log entries on the switch.  Did you see my screenshot?  The setting you mentioned is already disabled.  TIA

check the other backgroud task , see if any thing is related to SSH\Telent  which need the PI to login to the device like configuration collection etc.. must be some background task

Thanks-

Afroz

Hi,

Can you disable the "switch inventorytask"  from the Admin > Background Tasks  and hope that will take care of syslog issue,

Thanks-

Afroz

I checked the settings.  I attached a screenshot of the settings currently used.  The box you referenced was not checked.

hdporsche1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

we have the same problem maybe; Cisco Prime IF 2.1 is changing the running-configs and produces out-of-syncs ;

it turns so for us is, as if Cisco Prime IF 2.1 a snmp-server host x.x.x.x community entry writes in the running-config,

so are running-and startup-config are out-of-sync; is this correct?  Herbert