Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Works and RME Automated Actions

Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Works related issue and if any one could assist I would greatly appreciate it.

Listed under RME, Tools, Syslog - Automated Actions I have defined a new automated action and the type of action is set to execute a script.

Now the script is a batch file and I am successfully able to execute this script manually without any issues.

As for messages types I have defined the following:

Facility ? SYS

Sub-facility - *

Severity ? 5

Mnemonic - CONFIG_I

Description - *

I made a simple config change on one of my switches and I verified the syslog message was sent but the script did not execute.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

The goal that I am trying to achieve is when there is a config change I want this script to run. (.bat)

Thank you in advance for all your help.

I will look forward to your response.

Cheers,

CC.

9 Replies 9

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to checking whether the message was sent can you check:

1) Does the message make it to the syslog.log or syslog_info file?

2) If it does make it there, is the device managed in RME? Does the message show up in a standard report?

3) Does the SyslogAnalyzer.log show any error messages?

Hi Davistan,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I will verify and post back momentary but just to provide further information the default automated actions listed under RME are in fact working.

The default automated actions "config fetch" and "Inventory Fetch" are working correctly. When a config is changed the config is downloaded and replicated to the shadow directory appropriately.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

CC.

Hi Davistan,

I am not able to open the syslog file syslog.log as the file is too large. I also do not have a ?syslog_info? file.

However I have in fact confirmed that the sys log messages is being received.

When generating a report in RME the syslog message is successfully displayed which reconfirms that the syslog message was received correctly?

I do not have any error messages at all in the ?sysloganalyzer.log? file.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for all your help.

Cheers

CC.

Hi David, I hope you're game to go another round on this subject. I have been struggling with the same problem as Christopher for some time now. The script execution failure is recorded in my AnalyzerDebug.log as per attached extract. The key seems to be a java.io.IOException with error=5. I can execute the script from my dos prompt but for it doesn't work when called from the automated action setup. Can you help?

thank you.....William

What is the script syslogaction.bat attempting to do? What is it supposed to trigger?

Does casuser have correct access permissions to cmd.exe?

the syslogaction.bat file contains this command:

d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\perl.exe d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\files\scripts\syslog\sampleEmailScript.pl -text_message "MEssage: %2 from device: %1" -email_ids william.stridsland@worksafebc.com -subject "Syslog Message: %2" -from Ciscoworks@worksafebc.com -smtp mailserver.worksafenet.com

I have tried a number of executables in this batch file (like TrapGen.exe and a standard file copy) but they all fail. The one quoted above uses the example given in the help screens for the topic. When executed manually it sends the email allright.

Good point about casuser's permissions for cmd.exe. casuser has execute permissions for the bat and pl scripts but not for cmd.exe. I had our administrator add casuser to the administrators group on the box so that should have been taken care of now. Unfortunately it still doesn't work.....

What error message do you get now? The error=5 should be gone if casuser really has execute rights to cmd.exe.

error=5 usually means that casuser does not have access to execute C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe. Check the security settings on this executable, and make sure casuser has execute rights.

casuser was given execute rights through its membership in the administrators group but it took a reboot to activate for some reason. The batch file is now executed without any problem. Thank you for your prompt help - much appreciated.....William

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: