Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco works high memory usage

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Team,

Pls let me know the troubleshooting steps of high memory usage on cisco works server LMS/2.6.

regards

25 Replies 25

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

Any updates pls....

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First you need to identify what process(es) are taking the most memory. then, take those process IDs, and map them to CiscoWorks daemons using the output of the pdshow command. From there, it needs to be determined if this memory usage is expected given the number of devices being managed, tasks being performed, etc.

Hi clarke,

The processes are sm_server.exe & dbsrv9.exe.

LMS is 2.6 version & it has 1900 devices in common services n rme.

Can you help in indentifying the problem. Let me know whether any documentation is available in cisco site for the above symptoms ??

Well, sm_server.exe is tied to DFM, but there are numerous dbsrv9 processes. As I said, you need to use the pdshow output to map the PID from Process Monitor to a CiscoWorks daemon name.

I can say that 1900 devices is too many for DFM. You can only manage a maximum of 1500 devices in DFM, but that is just a rough estimate. It really boils down to the number of managed objects. You can use the command:

NMSROOT\objects\smarts\bin\sm_tpmgr -s DFM --sizes

To see the total number of managed ports and interfaces. The rule of thumb is no more than 45,000 total ports+interfaces with a max of 6,750 of them being managed.

Thanks clarke.

I will check and update you.

Thanks for providing such a valuable information.

Hi Clarke,

I have deleted all the unwanted switches from the cw. now it is 1200 devices and the number of port monitored = 3000, no of interfaces monitored = 17600

License = never.

Can you pls let me know what else can w check.

regards

PR

That's still too many ports/interfaces. While you can have 20,600 total, only 6,750 can be managed.

You may need to split DFM up onto multiple servers in order to manage all of the required ports and interfaces.

Hi clarke,

You mean to say out of 20,600 total, only 6,750 can be managed ?

Secondly, how many inf+ports you recommend?

And last, could you please let me know the procedure of how to do the splitting of DFM up onto multiple servers in order to manage all of the required ports and interfaces.

Appreciated your inputs..

regards

PR

Correct, no more than 6,750 ports/interfaces can be managed in one instance of DFM. This assumes a server with 4 GB of RAM, and at least 2 CPUs.

Given enough resources, you can manage the maximum.

To install multiple instances of DFM, you will need to install it, plus Common Services on multiple servers. The total sum of all managed devices (on all servers) cannot exceed the purchased license count, or you need to purchase a new license for each server.

Make sure each server's DFM instance does not manage more than the documented maximum number of ports/interfaces.

Hi Clarke,

I got it here its managing 17600 interfaces, where as supported is only 6750 RIGHT ?

So, you recommend to have additional server OR DFM splitting.. How to do that DFM splitting.

regards

PR

Adding an additional server IS splitting DFM. That is, you install another instance of Common Services and DFM on another server. On that other server, you add the devices which the first instance of DFM is not managing. You want to keep the managed port/interface count on both servers at or under 6,750. So, between both servers, you can manage 13,500 ports/interfaces. If you still need more than this, create a third server for the remaining devices.

Clark, one more question, what about increasing the RAM in the cisco works server. will that be a work around ???

regards

PR

Adding RAM only works when running with a supported number of managed objects. Beyond that, and testing was not done. Things may work, but just slowly. However, the application could crash or freeze.

Can you assit me on reducing the number of interfaces monitored. How do i reduce the number of unwanted interfaces thru cisco works ? That would be of great help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco