Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco works high memory usage

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Team,

Pls let me know the troubleshooting steps of high memory usage on cisco works server LMS/2.6.

regards

25 Replies 25

You can either remove devices from DFM, or go to DFM > Device Management > Device Details, view the details for a given device, then set ports/interfaces to unmanaged (by setting their management state to false).

Hi Clarke,

Can you pls provide me the cisco document/URL which describes about the no. of interfaces/ports/max devices etc...

This would be of great help for me.

regards

PR

Hi Clarke,

I have decreased the no. of ports and interfaces in DFM, Stopped the syslog services in "services.msc", but still the memory utilization is above 80 percent as noticed from the taskbar>performance (Physical memory). Swap memory is double the physical dram size.

Below is the output of the command run in command prompt.

%NMSROOT\objects\smarts\bin\ sm_tpmgr -s DFM -sizes

Total systems in topology: 1023

remaining blocks of system licenses in license server: uncounted

current system limit: 5000

No. of Router 956 [835/835]

Total no. of ports 2939 [154/0]

Total no. of interfaces 17498 [4708/2266]

Total no. of Links: 592

Total no. of networkconnections: 472

Total no. of cables: 70

Total no. of Trunkcables: 50

As you can see that no. of interfaces managed are 4708 out-of 17498 discovered interfaces and ports =154 out-of discoverd 2939 ports.

regards

Rajesh P

You're running at the high end of the support spectrum, so more memory is expected. What are the specs of this server? Given a solution server for LMS 2.6, you need at least two CPUs and at least 4 GB of RAM. But these are only the minimums. You may require more for your environment.

Server spec:- windows 2003 srv with 3GB Ram, Around 170GB of free hdd space out of 200gb. But still the no. of interfaces and ports have been reduced. Does it resolve by a hdd format and export the csv of dcr credential list rather than taking the old db backup ? Or anyother solutions will be given as a workaround. I have disabled the syslog services in cw server still i could see the sm_server.exe taking arnd 150mb of mem. As soon as i shutdown the cw services the mem usage comes down.

-PR

Your server needs another gigabyte of memory. While you're now running with within the maximum limit of managed elements in DFM, LMS, and especially DFM take a lot of RAM. This is not a problem, just a fact. If memory is running tight, then you need to add more. In this case, your server is under-powered.

Would that be fine adding another 2gb ram with existing 2gb = total 4gb in this cw server or should have more than 4gb for better side?.

Will the application not crash or freeze ? as you had mentioned earlier in this case notes.

Your inputs are awaited..

-PR

The more memory, the better the performance will be. However, the server needs AT LEAST 4 GB given the number of devices, applications, and managed objects in order to be supported and function properly.

If this server is moved to a supported configuration hardware-wise, then the application should behave properly as you are now within the supported limits of DFM from a managed objects point of view.

Hi Clarke,

I forgot to mention that we have already 4GB RAM, do we need to add another 4 more GB to the existing h/w ?

Sorry for the typo, as i had mentioned in my earlier mail that toatal of 2gb only existing as ram.

-PR

If memory is tight, or if things are slow, then, yes, add another one or two GB.

On Windows, LMS can handle up to 32 GB of system memory provided the system is Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition (with PAE enabled). With Standard Edition, 4 GB is the max.