cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Works LMS 2.5 on two servers, good or bad, how to?

sin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm installing LMS 2.5 for a costumer next week. The costumer want to install it using two servers for better performance.

Any one done this? Is it a good idear.

Any tips or source of information about it. Most Cisco dokumentation seems to imply a single server setup.

Regards Rasmus

5 Replies 5

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

miswoboda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you should also read the 'Large Scale Deployment' guide. Here it is. But unfortunately I don't have expirience as well.

In theory I would recommend the foll. config:

1st server(master for sync. DCR):

- CS

- CM

- DFM (receiving traps)

2nd Server(slave for sync. DCR):

- CS

- RME (receiving syslogs)

- IPM

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael

This got me going. Just one more question.

Someone sugested this dual server solution to our costumer with two single CPU servers with 2GB ram.

I can se that Cisco recomend a dual CPU server with 4GB ram.

Now my concern is that this dual server with low performance is a bad design. I have the feeling that one sigle server with more CPU power and memory would give better performance and more simple setup.

Any thoughts or expirince is much appreciated.

Regards Rasmus

Hi Rasmus,

i have done the above mentioned setup for a costumer with the unrestricted licence.

Every server needs to match the minimum hardware requirements!!

Everything else will lead you to a failing setup of CW or a very poor performance!

The dual cpu and 4 GB RAM is the recommendation for the unrestricted licence!

For the restricted the single cpu and 2GB is working well. For the restricted better use more than 2 GB RAM.

In my test environment i am running a LMS 2.5.1 and it is consuming 2,5 GB RAM. With only a few network devices monitoring.

Hope that answers your question.

Best regards,

Frank

I've got two multi-server clusters implemented on Solaris:

#1 four sun 240's 8GB ram as primary

#2 two sun 240's 8GB ram as DR cluster

for a mix of about 3,000 devices.

my dev system prior to this for LMS 2.5 was a 4 processor NT system with 4GB ram.