Level 1

Can anyone explain the following SNMP trap:

ALERT ID = 00002CO

TIME = Wed 28-Feb-2007 05:13:48 GMT

STATUS = Active

SEVERITY = Critical

MANAGED OBJECT = SW-Core-North

MANAGED OBJECT TYPE = Switches and Hubs

EVENT DESCRIPTION = SW-Core-North: Authentication Failure:MinorAlarm; 172.30.103.2 [SW-Core-North]:Unresponsive;

The trap specifies that 172.30.103.2 is unresponsive but this is not the case, that ip address has never gone down

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

For some reason when CW2K (DFM?) tried contacting this switch, the switch didn't answer. Usually SNMP and ICMP run at such low priority across your network, packets get lost; switches are busy doing other things like switching traffic that they don't have time to answer pings and snmp requests.

If this happens only occassionally, I would disregard it, but if it's happening frequently, then I would investigate how busy your network equipment truly is and work those issues. The other option you have is to increase the timeouts and decrease the frequency of your pings and snmp collections.

HTH

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the response, this does make a lot of sense.

I will investigate the network further to see if i can see other issues

Cheers

James

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi James,

depending on your version of DFM it could lead to Bug CSCsb04678. This affects all versions of DFM prior to 2.0.4.

- - - Snipp - - -

Release Notes

When a user clicked an alert ID for a given device, sometimes DFM displayed

alerts that were for different devices.

This problem no longer occurs if DFM 2.0.4 is installed.

- - - Snapp - - -

Best regards,

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: