Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoView and SNMP timeout

p_kiselev
Level 1
Level 1

Good day.

When i try to access devices via CiscoView, i periodically (it's about every device) get a message "Error Id=null, Severity=3, Message=Failed to open/refresh device., Cause=Could be due to wrong Device SNMP credentials., Action=Please verify Device SNMP credentials, Detail Tag=null", but after a small time i get the correct correct device image. I tried to inrease SNMP timeout and retry count, but it did't help. Maybe, snmp packets are lost, but it's unlikely. It seems to me that problem resides in something else. Any idea?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of CiscoView are you running and is this happening on specific device platforms?

What are you snmp timeouts and retries currently set to?

I use CiscoView ver.6.1.2, and it is unlikely that the problem is concerned with some special device-platform. I meet this problem on almost every device from time to time, both on remote and local sites. SNMP Timeout is 10 with Retry Count to 2 (i use the default settings).

Try to set up a packet trace between the server and the device to see what is happening.

Also, check the CPU utilization on the server, just in case it is high (and the SNMP packets are getting dropped).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: