Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscowoks to send alert when config change

kanokpan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How can I set ciscoworks to send the notification email to admin when any of devices configuration had been change and change by whom ?

Thank you,

Regards,

Jan.

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do this by configuring an Automated Action to send an email when a config change syslog message is sent from a device. To configure this, go to RME > Tools > Syslog > Automated Actions. The syslog filter strings you want to use to capture config changes for all devices are:

*-*-*-RESTART:* RESTART-*-*-*:* SYS-*-5-ONLINE:* *-*-*-CONFIG_I:* SYS-*-5-RELOAD:* CONFIG-*-*-*:* *-*-*-CONFIG:* OIR-*-6-INSCARD:* Nodemgr-*-5-CE:*REBOOT* CPU_REDUN-*-6-BOOTED_AS_ACTIVE:* CPU_REDUN-*-5-SWITCHOVER:* CPU_REDUN-*-6-RUNNING_CONFIG_CHG :* CPU_REDUN-*-5-RCSF_SYNCED:* CPU_REDUN-*-6-STARTUP_CONFIG_CHG:* CPU_REDUN-*-5-STARTUP_CONFIG_SYNCED:* SNMP-*-5-COLDSTART:* SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*telnet* SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*Console* *-*-*-OIR:* SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*SNMP* SYS-*-6-CFG_CHG:*ssh* SNMP-*-5-CONF:* PORT-*-5-CONF:* CHAS-*-5-CONF:* DIAG-*-5-CONF:* PIX-*-5-111005:*

Thanks for your advice. Please also tell me in detail how can I add that filter and email setting.

Thanks,

Jan

From the screen I mentioned previously, click the Create button to create a new Automated Action. Keep the All Managed Devices radio button selected, then click the Add button and type in the facility, sub-facility, severity, and mnemonics from the list of message filters I specified. The format is:

facility-subfacility-severity-mnemonic

If I want to add what device, what config had been changed and who change it to the email message. What should I add ?

Regards,

Jan.

The syslog message will contain the device name and who made the change (provided the device is using AAA), but it will not contain the actual config change. There are other syslog messages that can be enabled on the device that will show this. If your device supports it, you can enable config change logging (IOS devices only):

config t

archive

log config

The messages will have the header:

PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD

I created automate action as listed but ciscoworks send email for every syslog message occured. How to correct this ?

You most likely have made your filter too loose. Please post a screenshot of your action details.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Jan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: