Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks 2.2 Syslog Analyzer Error Message on Solaris 5.8

r.schlifke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are receiving emailed error messages from the SyslogAnalyzer saying: "You have configured the location for backup of syslog messages as, /data/tftpboot/syslog/ CiscoWorks Syslog Analyzer could not write into this directory and hence the backup operation failed Please check the security permissions of the directory"

I have checked the directory location and the /data/tftpboot/syslog directory is 777. The syslog file is increasing in size and datastamp. Why are we still getting these error messages? Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It looks like the SyslogBackup.csv has reached its max file size. You can try moving this file off somewhere else and recreating it (maintaining permissions), or copying the contents of it somewhere else to clean it out.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the size of the file SyslogBackup.csv?

What are the other parameters you have specified for the backup of syslogs?

Thanks much!

Here is the SyslogBackup.csv file size:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 casuser casusers 2147483770 Jan 27 01:00 SyslogBackup.csv

Managed Devices:

Maximum number of messages kept: 1000000

Keep Messages up to: 14 days

Unmanaged Devices: Max. number of messages to keep: 100000

Purge Options

Backup Directory: /data/tftpboot/syslog

Max size of backup file in MB: 8192

Email:

Message source: /data/tftpboot/syslog/cisco_syslog

Thanks again!

It looks like the SyslogBackup.csv has reached its max file size. You can try moving this file off somewhere else and recreating it (maintaining permissions), or copying the contents of it somewhere else to clean it out.

Thanks, Davistan!

I cleaned out the SyslogBackup.csv file and the file is now 0 bytes. I tried to restart the SyslogAnalyzer process using the WebGUI but the file isn't growing...Please advise.

You need to wait for the next scheduled backup/purge time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: